Thread: Follow Up on Milling Attachment for the Lathe

Red face Follow Up on Milling Attachment for the Lathe

I did get the 2nd hand vertical milling attachment mounted on my Sieg C3 mini lathe. Added a carriage lock using a 1/4-20 Allen bolt in a tapped hole on the carriage far side.... and a cut off .223 varmint bullet. Hey it worked.
    Tightened up all the gibs and did a little milling, was ok... but that cr@ppy vise was a source of curse words.

I used my handy dandy 7x5 saw to cut off the jaws and then used my milling attachment to true up the remaining plate. Plan is to mount a 2.5 inch screwless vise on that plate. Hopefully it will be better.

Sooner or later we will be in a condo or townhouse with no space, but no mowing and snow shoveling so we can spend our winters in Florida and summers traveling.
    I am hoping to have a spare bedroom to turn into a shop. As my toys need to fit in the garage. Ask me about my RZR.
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - MakerGear M2 3D printer- 20 Watt Ray Fine Galvo fiber laser, 6 Watt blue laser engraver project

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Ask me about my RZR.
    OK, are you referring to shaving or scooters?

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    OK, are you referring to shaving or scooters?
    I am sorry, its a Polaris RZR 570 for off road riding.

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/rzr-sid...tning-trail-le
    Last edited by wmgeorge; 01-10-2017 at 04:29 PM.
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - MakerGear M2 3D printer- 20 Watt Ray Fine Galvo fiber laser, 6 Watt blue laser engraver project

The Polaris RZR 1000s are doing very well in the 2017 Dakar.

Norman

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    .. was ok... but that cr@ppy vise was a source of curse words.

I used my handy dandy 7x5 saw to cut off the jaws and then used my milling attachment to true up the remaining plate. Plan is to mount a 2.5 inch screwless vise on that plate.
    I do not know that I would go so far as to call the moving portion of the attachment a vise, it is more a U-shaped clamp - along the lines of one side of a basic turret-style 4-position lathe tool holder.

What was the problem? Were the top and bottom clamping legs you cut off the sliding block soft and flexing when the bolts were tightened?

Too late now, but I am sure I have seen photos of toolmaker vises (of the sort you plan to mount) clamped in these milling attachments. Other kinds of purpose-built holders could be made up as required.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurr View Post
    I do not know that I would go so far as to call the moving portion of the attachment a vise, it is more a U-shaped clamp - along the lines of one side of a basic turret-style 4-position lathe tool holder.

What was the problem? Were the top and bottom clamping legs you cut off the sliding block soft and flexing when the bolts were tightened?

Too late now, but I am sure I have seen photos of toolmaker vises (of the sort you plan to mount) clamped in these milling attachments. Other kinds of purpose-built holders could be made up as required.

All of the bad above. Pretty sad excuse for either a clamp or a vise. I am just going to a much better vise period, a "real" milling vise. I am going to make side plates when it gets here to fit to attachment moving plate and then have Allen screws two each on either side of the plate. Then I am going to weld those shop made plates to the attachment moving plate.
    I did think briefly about welding the screwless vise directly to the moving plate on the attachment, but that vise is hardened and I did not want to deal with cracked welds. Frankly when I was milling the attachment plate true with a mill in the lathe chuck it did a very nice job.