Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT:Any Wood Cookstoves out there

Default OT:Any Wood Cookstoves out there

Just curious if many use wood cook stoves any more,we got this one 6 yrs ago and are very pleased with it.

Very nice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

doesn't look like it's in the kitchen... :-(

Yes, have that identical Esse Ironheart. In use for coming up ten years now although not in the summer months. Nearly every year we've had to replace the steel baffle in the firebox however last one that was supplied was substantially thicker steel and is lasting well. The fire box is not as airtight as it might be which is what results in overhot burning and sagging firebox baffles.
    One thing that amused me was the false door with the logo "The Ironheart" is actually cast aluminium!!

We have an 1880 home that has the one I'm guessing from the teens or maybe twenties. I love cooking on it, always the right temp just move closer or farther from the firebox. They still make the same brand & parts in Ohio. I put a gas light above it so we can cook in case of a power outage. I se to use it more & could throw a fife in & by the time I showered & got dressed it was ready to cook. Here's the one we have in cream & light green porcelain, even came with the original cookbook http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-4...nge-parts.html, it also has the coal shaker grates. We have a 2nd not hooked up that's a Queen Ann style or step style. Also a 1929 GE 1st year coil top fridge that works great, the 1st year the coil was open & after that had a sheet metal cover around the coil. We had a farm near Mass City in the UP that had an electris/wood cook stove that didn't look as good but worked well.
    Last edited by flylo; 01-12-2017 at 09:04 AM.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

Yes, still use the Knox Mealmaster occasionally that my father bought for my mother in 1942 as a wedding gift (?). Probably more for heating rather than cooking, the wife is better at that than I am.

Knox is still in business, bought a new firebox liner for it last year.

Dave
    Last edited by becksmachine; 01-12-2017 at 06:28 AM.

We have 2. An old plain-jane St Clair range ( white porcelain, no warming oven) and my wife's great grandmother's Home Comfort (BIG, and beautiful ! ) removed from her kitchen where it was in use somewhat. Neither is used at this time, although the St Clair we have used in the past. What you have looks more like a wood heater with cooking ability comparing the two designs. Ours would never work to heat with in a serious way as the fire boxes are just so small. Baking in wood cook stove is difficult to put it mildly. I think pancakes were invented on a wood cook stove. Cooking on a wood cook stove like ours takes firewood selection to a very different level (omg!).

It's great to see that they are still built. I like the large firebox, makes me think cooking temps might be easier to regulate. If we remodel our kitchen we will likely put the home comfort into use or at least an operational condition.

Abner, I just changed the link in my post as ours is a Home Comfort, speking of pancakes we had a winter scout camp out & it got well below sero so we had 30+ boys & dads in the house for the night & next morning I cooked pancakes & sausage on the old Warm Morning, did a fine job.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

Does the tractor and truck start real good all warmed up like they are?

Quote Originally Posted by flylo View Post
    We have an 1880 home that has the one I'm guessing from the teens or maybe twenties. I love cooking on it, always the right temp just move closer or farther from the firebox. They still make the same brand & parts in Ohio. I put a gas light above it so we can cook in case of a power outage. I se to use it more & could throw a fife in & by the time I showered & got dressed it was ready to cook. Here's the one we have in cream & light green porcelain, even came with the original cookbook http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-4...nge-parts.html, it also has the coal shaker grates. We have a 2nd not hooked up that's a Queen Ann style or step style. Also a 1929 GE 1st year coil top fridge that works great, the 1st year the coil was open & after that had a sheet metal cover around the coil. We had a farm near Mass City in the UP that had an electris/wood cook stove that didn't look as good but worked well.
    Wow, think of all the new GE fridges that have come and gone and that one is still chugging along. That's solid proof that "they don't make em like they used to."

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk