Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: considering Millermatic 252 - comments?

Default considering Millermatic 252 - comments?

I'm ready to replace my 25 yr old Millermatic 150, .030 wire, 33 lb. spool, 75/25 argon gas. Has been a good welder if slightly undersize for some projects.
    I'm not always a fan of the new digital stuff.
    Anyone have a Millermatic 252 that they have been using and have any pros / cons about it?
    Thanks,
    Abner
    Last edited by Abner; 01-25-2017 at 08:35 PM.

I bought a 252 in 2014. I like it for the fact that I can direct connect my 30A spoolgun. I put a 300 amp Bernard Q gun on it out of the box mainly because I had it and like it better than the M-25.
    Do you need a 250 amp machine?, no?.....Millermatic 211 is awesome and will weld 3/8" steel in a single pass.

We have one in the shop, works well with solid wire and flux-core.
    I usually use the Spoolmatic 30 spoolgun for aluminum, plugs right
    into the 252, a very nice accessory.
    Larry

Thanks for the information, that is great help.
    Will look into a Spoolmatic gun as well.
    Never welded alum. but that may change here in the next 6 mo.
    Abner

We've had a 252 for a number of years. It's been a great machine--we've had zero issues with it. I'd go for the 252 over the 211.
    The incremental cost is not that much and you get a lot of machine for your money. First time you run into some 3/4" material and
    run .045 fluxcore through the welder you'll understand...
    Keith

I bought a new Millermatic 252 in 2013. It's a terrific machine. With the proper wire and settings, it will do anything from thin sheet up to spray weld on 1/2" plate. I use straight CO2 and it does a terrific job. It's very reliable and ready to go at a moment's notice.

You can't go wrong with a Millermatic 252. I don't own any of the company, but I wish I did. Made in USA, too.

I got an excellent deal on mine from Cyberweld but there are lots of companies that sell them.
    Last edited by GNM109; 01-25-2017 at 12:48 AM.

Thanks for all the input. The 252 has a $300.00 rebate until the end of March. They have one at a local welding supply house that I never buy supplies from because they charge 30%-50% more than the smaller one. Seems prices are universal. Set by Miller(?)

I edited my post I have a 150 not a 160. Now trying to determine a value for resale.
    I would give it to my kids if they could use it but no welders or any interest in becoming one.

Quote Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
    I'd go for the 252 over the 211.
    The incremental cost is not that much and you get a lot of machine for your money.
    The 211 sells for just north of $1k. The 252 goes for ~$2500. On the surface that seems to be a substantial incremental cost. What am I missing? I'm not claiming the 252 isn't a better value, I just don't understand the incremental cost comment.

Quote Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
    The 211 sells for just north of $1k. The 252 goes for ~$2500. On the surface that seems to be a substantial incremental cost. What am I missing? I'm not claiming the 252 isn't a better value, I just don't understand the incremental cost comment.

The 211 and 252 are two completely different machines. The 211 has 20% or 40% duty Cycle depending on settings - 120 V or 240V. It's rated for 3/8" steel maximum. The 252 has 40% or 60% duty cycle depending on settings. It's rated for up to 1/2" steel.

The 211 would be fine for portability with dual voltage and 42 pounds weight. The 252 is not really portable with higher voltage requirements only and at 207 pounds.

The 211 would be a great hobby machine or light industrial and the 252 is a much heavier duty unit and better-suited to an industrial environment. Both machines are spool gun capable.

I've had smaller MIGS and I've never been sorry that I bought the 252. With the proper gas and settings it will easily do spray transfer and I've welded 3/4 steel with it in that mode. I'm not sure if the 211 will go to that level.

To answer your question, heavier duty machines cost more.

Quote Originally Posted by GNM109 View Post
    The 211 and 252 are two completely different machines. The 211 has 20% or 40% duty Cycle depending on settings - 120 V or 240V. It's rated for 3/8" steel maximum. The 252 has 40% or 60% duty cycle depending on settings. It's rated for up to 1/2" steel.

The 211 would be fine for portability with dual voltage and 42 pounds weight. The 252 is not really portable with higher voltage requirements only and at 207 pounds.

The 211 would be a great hobby machine or light industrial and the 252 is a much heavier duty unit and better-suited to an industrial environment. Both machines are spool gun capable.

I've had smaller MIGS and I've never been sorry that I bought the 252.

To answer your question, heavier duty machines cost more.
    Great answer. Thanks!