Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: considering Millermatic 252 - comments?

I have a 252 and find it ideal for a home shop.
    It has never let me down. Easy to use and bulletproof.
    Bill
    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

We use a 252 at work, great machine so far. My comments on it are, it will almost get into full spray mode with 75/25 but kind of floats in and out of it(not the machines fault). The gun that comes with it I think is a little under rated if you are going to run the machine at its full limits for any amount of time. I also experience some feed issues at times running .035" wire at higher feed rates, liner was changed and got a little better but I think .045" wire would be better to keep the feed rate lower.

A shiny new 252 followed me home this week, makes me realize how dirty my 150 is. I have been reading the manual. Somewhat like those 3 button digital watches where you press buttons in a certain order to access different menus. Can't wait to use it. Reading comments and the manual looks like I might buy some heavier wire. I have run .030 for years and it worked mostly ok but on the highest setting on my MM-150 I was at 95%+ feed rate and it wasn't enough- more of a drip.

I suspect there will be a learning curve(s) as I explore it's abilities.

Thanks for all the comments!
    Abner

Congrats!
    Depending on what you're welding just use the .030 until it's gone then change to .035.

I'm sure you'll be very happy, it is truly one of the best machines available. Buddy of mine has a 252 and he really likes his. Me I'm a Lincoln guy and I'm happy too. I know his has a few features that mine doesn't and that's a plus, although I find I like the arc characteristics of mine better, just a personal bias on my part I'm sure.

Yeah like BigMike said keep the .030 in there till it's gone, nice thing is now you have the ability to choose what wire to run. Like he said the work will dictate what size of wire you need. I use everything from .023-.045 solid and fluxcore depending on the situation. Like I say, it's nice having a machine that allows you the flexibility.
    Home
    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience....well that comes from poor judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Abner View Post
    A shiny new 252 followed me home this week, makes me realize how dirty my 150 is. I have been reading the manual. Somewhat like those 3 button digital watches where you press buttons in a certain order to access different menus. Can't wait to use it. Reading comments and the manual looks like I might buy some heavier wire. I have run .030 for years and it worked mostly ok but on the highest setting on my MM-150 I was at 95%+ feed rate and it wasn't enough- more of a drip.

I suspect there will be a learning curve(s) as I explore it's abilities.

Thanks for all the comments!
    Abner
    I also have a 252. It's a terrific unit.

One thing you will want to do is the wire feed test that is in the manual. You set the tension so that when you feed wire against a hard surface, say a piece of wood, it will make a nice curl. The wire feed mechanism on the 252 is superb. I also like the down-angle on the gun mount which is out of the way.

Some folks complain about the location of the on-of switch, but it's not a problem once you learn where it is.

Also, I found that under certain circumstances the wire can burn back into the tip and get stuck. I cured the problem by buying an outer copper cover that is 1/8" longer. This recesses the tip 1/8" and the problem goes away.

I run my 252 on CO2 partly because of the cost ($30 out the door for 20 #/160 cu. ft. equivalent) versus $75 for a 160 cu. ft. argon-CO2 cylinder exchange at my local LWS, which cheaper than the local Airgas. I'm aware that argon-CO2 gives a cleaner weld, but for my purposes, I just use a bit of weld gel and any spatter usually comes right off. Penetration is better with CO2 as well.

You will love that machine, regardless.
    Last edited by GNM109; 02-17-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Yesterday I learned of another test for wire feeding. Feed some wire out of the tip, release the idle roll, grab the wire and pull. If it pulls easily the machine won't have a problem.
    I will be doing that this weekend.

OK, set it up and did some welding of scraps. Ohhhh man, what a difference!
    I thought it would be better but this is just superb.
    The dials allow easy (fine) adjustment, much better than I expected.
    The menu section is easy to get to and understand -> simple, quick set up!
    The gas / arc delay I really like as well. No funky starts.

My old welder must have issues or is just more basic.

I would recommend this machine to anyone.

Thanks again!

Delivered 4 this morning to one customer.....glad you like yours!