Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have that machine you don't know how you did without it!

4x6 horiz/vert bandsaw and Drill press and Table saw, bench grinder in that order

Those battery operated impact drivers is life changing for wood screws. Also a real air compressor and real pneumatic tools are nice.

Fien multi tool. Especially for trimming and cutting in very awkward places. Nothing else will do the job,

Porta-band saw.

My 4x6 was/is a lemon. Still need to fix things. Idler wheel, if you tighten the blade, will tilt and blade comes off. Uses bushings instead of bearings. I spend equal amounts of time cursing at it as using it.

Quote Originally Posted by mf205i View Post
    I will give you two, my belt grinder and my tractor-skip loader. I could have never envisioned how useful and how much use these two tools would get. I rescued the tractor and built the grinder and it always makes me smile at the unexpected usefulness and luxury of having and using them.
    Do yourself a big favor and even if you already have a bench grinder and a belt sander, get or make yourself a good 1HP+ belt grinder. You just canít believe what it will do.
    The Massey Ferguson is optional.
    Mike
    Not my place. Can't imagine life without a tractor with loader.

as for tools, I guess my portaband. Everytime I use it, I say "I can't imagine life without it"

Quote Originally Posted by blckbx View Post
    Fien multi tool. Especially for trimming and cutting in very awkward places. Nothing else will do the job,
    Hi,

Those things are amazing for home remodeling and repairs. I bought a really cheap one for a one off job, (fitting a really weird sized door), figuring I'd never use it again. I was very, very, wrong. Seems I can't do any house project any more without getting it out!

Out in the shop, a 5C collet chuck for the lathe. I've used 5C chucks of almost every style nearly everyday at work. So I know how handy and nice they can be. But I never really felt I needed it at home until I bought one for myself. My 3 jaw and 4jaw are going to have a very hard time get used anymore.

Dalee
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Plain simple inexpensive benchtop drillpress. I have a mill and a lathe, and use them quite a bit. But that drill-press? Does duty as a drum sander, very-light-mill, tap-snapper, countersink, hole-poker, manual engraver, crude press, and so much more.

My 1st purchase at 16, a stick welder & O/A torch set.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by mf205i View Post
    I get or make yourself a good 1HP+ belt grinder. You just canít believe what it will do.

Mike
    ^^^^ This
    5.5HP 3" belt grinder with good belt is pretty amazing. And much safer alternative to big bench grinder in a industrial workshop full of monkeys.
    Works wonders also on shaping HSS tools.

I have belt grinder project under work. not just sure where I'm going to ever fit it. 3x110" belt and a 5HP dual-speed motor so its going to need some space.