Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, I built this turf roller out of an old air compressor tank.

Default So, I built this turf roller out of an old air compressor tank.

The wheel bearings/hub assemblies from the rear end of a 2000 Chrysler Concorde are mounted boxes that are a little smaller than the pockets I put in the ends of the tank. The space in between is filled with sections of an old tire. that provides some flexibility to keep from overloading the bearings.

Getting the pockets in the right place took a lot of measuring and double checking, but it was worth the effort.

One end of the frame is bolted together for assembly and servicing.

The roller is going to be used in the Land and Forestry Management Program at the college. I'm also going to build an attachment so they can tow it from the drawbar on the tractor instead of using the three-point hitch.
    Last edited by winchman; 02-10-2017 at 08:12 AM.
    The law of gravity is fine, but the minimum sentencing guidelines are much too harsh.

Nice job! Should work well for them for many years to come. Will it just be filled with water when needed?
    Andy

Neat build
    Can you put down pressure on it?

Yes, they plan to fill it with water. The roller will weigh about 1000 pounds filled with water.

There was some leakage in the welds when I did a low-pressure test, but I cured that by putting a vacuum cleaner hose into the fill port opening while painting the joints to draw the paint into the tiny voids.

I'm not sure if the tractor they have will put down force on the three-point hitch. It's a fair-sized John Deere, but I just don't know that much about tractors. The instructor didn't mention doing that. I think it'll take a bit, but I certainly didn't build it with that in mind.
    Last edited by winchman; 02-10-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Looks great! I did one for the airstrip with a 250 gal propane tank & just made it pull, no 3 point but on yours that would make a great counterweight if they have a large bucket on the tractor or for going down the road.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

I made my roller out of a piece of 24" dia. well casing pipe with a 3/8" wall 4' in length. I think it weighs about 1200 Lbs when filled with water.
    I was going to make a rack that would be built off the draw bar to stack blocks on for extra weight, but my little lawn tractor gets stuck pulling it if the ground is too soft so I bagged the idea.
    If your using a bigger tractor that shouldn't be a problem for you. I was at first going to use a propane tank like you did but couldn't find one the size I wanted so I went with the well casing.
    The only problem I have is it cuts a line in the lawn if I turn to sharp, you won't have that problem with yours.
    You could also fill it with liquid calcium which would add more weight and you won't have to worry about it freezing. But I don't think you have to worry about that in Ga.

JL.................

Always a pleasure to see your fabrications.
    Cue up Vera Lynn and let the credits roll ...

Very nice job.
    How about filling it with blasting shot or punchings, density water is 1 ton cubic metre, shot or punchings is about 5- 5.5, solid steel being 7.8-8 depends where you live!, gravity varies so steel density does, I found that a 30 ton coil was 29.2 in some places and 30.05 in others, strange stuff gravity.
    Even stone chippings might be better,
    Mark

As the youngsters say her in Scotland that is fandabbiedozie or just brilliant cut down to brill as in wow that's *pure dead brill*.Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

I've seen a number of concrete filled rollers but they have a tendency to rust out from inside. Get some serious rust treatment in the water fill.