Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So, I built this turf roller out of an old air compressor tank.

After mine froze 3 times, I switched to pea gravel. That worked great as it wouldn't freeze or clump together and go thump, thump, thump as you pulled it around.

very nice work. I'd add a tow bar, as I can't see it being very usefull on the 3 point. I do like the rounded corners though, probably do a very nice job without gouging or tearing in the turns (although with the 3 point you can just lift it up while turning)

I started making one last year out of a 2'diax4' long sonotube i had left over from an old home theater subwoofer (funny how projects recycle themselves). I had the end caps done, and pretty much ready to pour concrete when I lucked into a 9' 3 section roller that was just down the road. Bought it cheaper than it would have cost for the concrete to fill the sonotube, and all I had to do was add a towbar and coupler. It's all old riveted construction and most likely from around the 20'/30's. I love rescuing old stuff like that and puting it back to work. I'm very much looking forward to a very rainy spring so I can put it to work to restore some old horse pasture into a nice "lawn".

We had a nice roller on the farm, it had been a small(ish) steam roller but the machinery was gone and the boiler cut open and filled with concrete. It was quite heavy.

A triangular hitch was fitted to the front roller and we towed it with a tractor.

My father said to not try and tow it above 2nd gear in the tractor but being young of course I tried my double de-clutch skills and was soon bowling along in 3rd gear. That was until the end of the paddock where stopping or even turning became apparently impossible resulting in a hole through a hedge. Nothing was ever said about it and years later my brother told me I was not the first to have made the same mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    After mine froze 3 times, I switched to pea gravel. That worked great as it wouldn't freeze or clump together and go thump, thump, thump as you pulled it around.
    That happened to the first one I made, could have sworn I drained it. Next time put some anti freeze in it and you won't have to worry.

JL............

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    I've seen a number of concrete filled rollers but they have a tendency to rust out from inside. Get some serious rust treatment in the water fill.
    Yea, and if you ever have to move it or get it up on a trailer...... good luck.

JL.................

The problem with the hitch for towing the roller from the drawbar is that it can't be used to lift the roller off the ground. I couldn't come up with anything that would allow both single-point towing and the ability to lift the roller off the ground. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by winchman View Post
    The problem with the hitch for towing the roller from the drawbar is that it can't be used to lift the roller off the ground. I couldn't come up with anything that would allow both single-point towing and the ability to lift the roller off the ground. Any ideas?
    Yes. Mount a couple of wheels on the topside of it and when you want to transport it on wheels you rotate the hitch 180o up and over the roller and the wheels will then be on the bottom. Make the hitch long enough so that your body weight is enough to lever it up onto the wheels and don't make it so the wheels raise it any higher than necessary.

There's other ways too but that's the simplest.

Make your towbar hook up to the 2 lower arms of the 3 point, with either a hand winch, or 12v winch hooked up beside the top link. When you winch the roller off the ground, stick a top link in there to hold it up. I've been thinking about making something like this for my landscape rake so I can tow it with the atv, but it might work for a roller. Only concern would be the massive negative tongue weight when the roller is lifted lol. Maybe put the wheels behind the roller, or flip it up 90* to be on top of the wheels. Something along those lines anyway. But making the towbar hook up to the 3ph would be nice and easy.

Have a look at any farm implement that gets towed. Normally they have wheels that rotate into position with a lever and hydraulic cylinder. Real simple to make.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

I was talking about towing it from the drawbar on the tractor while the roller is on the ground. That keeps it from skidding sideways when you turn sharply.

I like the idea of flipping the frame over, though. I could add a tongue to the top of the frame where the upper link connects. It's probably sturdy enough as is (two 4"x3/8" flat bars), but a couple of angle braces might not be a bad idea. It would stick up when using the 3PH. That probably won't be a problem if it's not too long. The tongue could be a piece of 2x2x1/4" square tube with a coupler on the end.

I could also add a tongue that pivots from the center of the frame with braces to lock it in place when it's pointing forward. It would swing to the side when stowed.

I definitely need to add a stand to hold the frame up while the 3PH is being attached.

Last edited by winchman; 02-11-2017 at 11:42 PM.