Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: 30 foot Wasp & Hornet spray

Default OT: 30 foot Wasp & Hornet spray

I have two yellow jacket nests that have to go. I have two cans of Wasp nest spray that allegedly work from 30 feet away.

The last time I used this spray it was 17 degrees F outside and the occupants of the nests died peacefully in their frigid sleep. Today we are looking at a high of 79.

Do I have to worry about a cloud of stingers coming out of the nest, or does this stuff put them to sleep instantly?

If its the foaming kind, any wasps hit will be immediately disabled. Any missed.....
    I'd be skeptical of the 30 ft range. The best I've found work to about 20 feet (NOT straight up) and that only for a very few seconds.

If you have any aerosol 1,1,1 trichloroethane left in a forgotten corner, use that. The wasps fall like rain when that hits. Modern 'brake cleaner' if chlorinated will work too, just not quite as spectacularly.

Another shop-probable: Acetone. If you have a way to deliver it, down they go.

AD5MB, you do not identify what product you are using - they are not all the same, even the 'same' product has changed from year to year as mfrs modify their formulation for performance/regulatory compliance.

Speaking from experience with Wilson 1 Shot Jet Foam Killer and 1 Shot Killer (long range spray), neither product puts active insects 'to sleep instantly'. The insecticide will coat the surface and penetrate a bit but the nest is deep and the reaction will be to escape - some will and they will be presumably in pain and upset. If you are allergic to stings, get someone else to do the task. If it is a big hive, get someone else to do the task. Otherwise, cover up with heavy thick outerwear and close the collars/cuffs tightly. I include a full face mask usually used for grinding. Have at least one backup can of insecticide. Have a clear escape route, ideally w/ a nearby safe place.

Work EARLY in the morning when most if not all are in the hive. Otherwise, watch your six for others returning and attacking from your rear.

Also, I agree w/ chipmaker4130 that 30' is an very optimistic figure - spray may well reach that far, but I believe you'll see a dispersed pattern. Anticipate needing to be not close, but closer for accuracy: say 15'-20'.

I have had success w/ the dedicated products. I would not be willing to experiment w/ alternates.
    Last edited by EddyCurr; 02-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Cue up Vera Lynn and let the credits roll ...

Attack when the sun goes down. They don't fly well at night. They will sometimes chase a flashlight though.

Quote Originally Posted by AD5MB View Post
    I have two yellow jacket nests that have to go. I have two cans of Wasp nest spray that allegedly work from 30 feet away.

The last time I used this spray it was 17 degrees F outside and the occupants of the nests died peacefully in their frigid sleep. Today we are looking at a high of 79.

Do I have to worry about a cloud of stingers coming out of the nest, or does this stuff put them to sleep instantly?
    If they are in tree limbs and you can shoot the the area, use a 12ga shotgun and 7 1/2 shot or smaller get the distance right for the pattern size and DUST'EM.
    Definition: Boat, a hole in the water you throw money into!

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurr View Post
    If you are allergic to stings, get someone else to do the task.
    I was recently reading about how you can become allergic after a sting. This was for bee stings, but it might be the same for wasps. So even if you have been stung before, don't assume that you won't have an allergic reaction.

I know this can also happen with drugs like ibuprofen. You can use it without problems, and then one day have an allergic reaction to it. After that, you will remain allergic to it, and future reactions could be more severe.

Found the article I was reading http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/hea...dbc7645570e1e3

Paintball gun, empty the hopper on the nest.... They'll find somewhere else to live.

Another thought.

If the hive is hidden within a structure, spend some time observing activity to ensure you know all the points of access.
    Cue up Vera Lynn and let the credits roll ...

I wait until dusk and set up a large (1/2 acre) electric bug zapper as close to the nest as possible. Poles / extension cords as needed. Turn it on, and from a safe distance lob a few rocks at the nest to get their attention. After the first one or two get zapped then the battle cry goes out and they come out in force to take on the glowing violet attacker. I watched hundreds of them pouring out of the nest for a good 5 minutes and turning themselves into tiny Kamikaze pilots. Shoveled them up afterwards. Wish now that I had a video camera at the time. When I was a kid I got to experience what it felt like to be attacked by an underground nest of hornets. Can't say I enjoyed the experience.

By the way, they make adapters for those "30 ft" spray cans that attach to an extension pole. You operate the spray from a distance sort of like using a pole tree trimmer.

If the nests are in the ground, wait til after dark and pour an ounce of gasoline in the entrance hole. Kills them all dead. You can dig it up the next day and there wont be a live one left.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard