Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: 30 foot Wasp & Hornet spray

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurr View Post
    I've never had much use for wasps and hornets, but they are considered 'incidental' pollinators and make a contribution in this regard.

So I follow a modified "live-'n-let-live" approach here. There is a perimeter. Nests in, on or immediately adjacent to the house are eliminated to prevent confrontations. Nests anywhere else are left untouched and are actively avoided.

Like other regions, this community is experiencing a pronounced decline in bee populations and the pollination benefits bees provide. Without pollination, seed plants face a tough task at reproducing. Most of what I eat and a good deal of what I wear is dependent on pollination in some manner. Until the problems reducing bee populations are addressed, exercising restraint in managing incidental pollinators like wasps and hornets is just good sense.
    very well said. makes much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    One of the few good uses for WD40 is that it kills wasps fast. Even when they are flying, if you can hit them.

Soak the nest and they should be dead in a short time.
    x1. WD 40 is my go to wasp killer. After having my finger go numb spraying with wasp killer from leakage, yes wear gloves I know.

I used a pressure washer last year, worked pretty good, will knock them out of the air too.

Last summer I bought a can of wasp & hornet killer, can't remember the brand off hand. They boasted of a 20 ft. spray.
    The can would only spray about 12 ft. and the stream fanned out dissipated to a fine mist at about 10 ft. and the slightest breeze brings it all back in your face. I called the company and bitched. They took all the info on the can, apologized and sent me some free coupons.
    Some stuff I've had would drop the bees on contact but they would be back in a few hours crawling all over where the spray had dried.
    So.......... all products are not the same. Stick with the name brand stuff.

JL................

Maybe all your wasps are different to ours...

I leave them alone and they don't bother me. I usually have 1-3 nests on the house each year - sometime they get to basketball size, but more usually 4-6 inches. In the winter they are empty and get replaced in the spring by a very small initial number of males/drones working with a singe queen. They peak about August then decline rapidly into the fall.

Contrary to popular belief they don't just eat dog crap and hamburgers; they are very effective garden pest hunters. I don't use any pesticides and have about 1/2 acre of flowers.

I usually "live and let live". I don't like to kill things I can't eat, except wasps. Every year I get into the yellow jackets around here. They're really good at picking new spots for nests like the box around my hyrdo meter next to garage entry door, in the ground under/in rotten railroad ties around flower beds, in the soffit above entry door, in between the floor (whats left of it) and carpet (whats left of it) in the plow jeep. And probably more I've forgot. But I always get stung, multiple times before I find them. Then it's on. I buy whatever wasp spray is cheap, and wait for the cover of darkness when they're all back home then nail them. Maybe a day or 2 of that and they're done, and ready for the next spot to get me from...... The jeep one was a good hiding spot for them this year as they waited till I was inside and trying to get it started before they came out of the woodwork to attack. I almost lit the whole jeep up ha ha. They always get me while i'm on the lawnmower. First pass around I stir them up and piss them off, next time around they get me....lol

Mud wasps also like to make nests on the brick of my house, but those guys, while pretty mean looking are pretty docile and harmless. I took a wooden welding brush and planed it down till it fit in the end of one of my old broken composite hockey sticks. Works great for scraping the nests off the brick. They also drive me nuts because they seem to fill every little damn hole and crevice with mud in everything I own out in the barn.

Every year I find a paper wasp nest out in the woods somewhere but they're usually abandoned by the time I find them. Except for last year, I was out on the atv and found one right next to a trail that was very much in use and active. I went back to the house, grabbed the 870 and took care of it....
    Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 02-10-2017 at 09:21 PM.

I'm with lakeside53. We have fruit trees on our property. At one time we had apples, pears and plums. Back then I spotted an enormous wasp nest above the door of my shop. It was about 6" in diameter. It scared me and I got a can of wasp spray and killed the nest. This was in mid-May. About a week later my fruit trees were COVERED in aphids which the carnivorous wasps had been keeping in check. I have not killed another wasp since.

We often have quite a number of them around our yard. They don't bother us and we don't bother them. But they can be obtrusive when we do outdoor dinners. Living in the Pacific Northwest, I planned an outdoor dinner party serving grilled king salmon. I filleted the salmon in the early afternoon and put the carcass (bones with some meat) out on a table in the full sun near where we were setting up for dinner. The wasps gorged on the salmon all afternoon and by dinnertime they were all sleepy and didn't come around the outdoor tables at all.

So before you kill a whole population of insects, please consider that they may be doing your yard a lot of good.

metalmagpie

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    I usually "live and let live". I don't like to kill things I can't eat, except wasps. Every year I get into the yellow jackets around here. They're really good at picking new spots for nests like the box around my hyrdo meter next to garage entry door, in the ground under/in rotten railroad ties around flower beds, in the soffit above entry door, in between the floor (whats left of it) and carpet (whats left of it) in the plow jeep. And probably more I've forgot. But I always get stung, multiple times before I find them. Then it's on. I buy whatever wasp spray is cheap, and wait for the cover of darkness when they're all back home then nail them. Maybe a day or 2 of that and they're done, and ready for the next spot to get me from...... The jeep one was a good hiding spot for them this year as they waited till I was inside and trying to get it started before they came out of the woodwork to attack. I almost lit the whole jeep up ha ha. They always get me while i'm on the lawnmower. First pass around I stir them up and piss them off, next time around they get me....lol

Mud wasps also like to make nests on the brick of my house, but those guys, while pretty mean looking are pretty docile and harmless. I took a wooden welding brush and planed it down till it fit in the end of one of my old broken composite hockey sticks. Works great for scraping the nests off the brick. They also drive me nuts because they seem to fill every little damn hole and crevice with mud in everything I own out in the barn.

Every year I find a paper wasp nest out in the woods somewhere but they're usually abandoned by the time I find them. Except for last year, I was out on the atv and found one right next to a trail that was very much in use and active. I went back to the house, grabbed the 870 and took care of it....
    Fun wasn't it?
    Definition: Boat, a hole in the water you throw money into!

I have had very good results with the following

10' length of PVC

plastic spoon

tape

and the magic ingredient Orthane Fire Ant Bait

Tape spoon to end of PVC Fill spoon and dump at entrance
    George from Conyers Ga.
    Remember
    The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfire View Post
    Fun wasn't it?
    Yep.

I just wish they'd choose better spots to take up residence. 15ft off the trail and I would have left them alone. They always pick spots directly in my travels, and I always get stung.

I usually live and let live, but yellow jackets have been known to take over the Hummingbird feeders on our patio. When that happens I try to find the nest and eliminate the pests.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard