Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TIG Hacker !!

Default TIG Hacker !!

Well I bought a Miller Mini TIG a few years ago. Its been ok just trouble with foot pedal and I had that repaired at our local weld repair shop. Now im getting into welding snowmobile cases together and wondered what I would need to do this properly? I bought a stove for my shop to preheat the cases and built fixtures , Now time to upgrade to a bigger water cooled (yup that would be nice!) TIG Machine. I also wondered what circuit and wires would be needed for the larger tig welder .? Here is a Link to a TIG I been looking at. I hear the electronics inside are Siemens from Germany and the rest Chinese? Any one else know anything bout there? Is it ru naway or???... Anyhow heres the Link I hope it helps someone out, Thanx Guys Mike

http://www.everlastwelders.ca/tigwel...rtig-250ex.php

The manual shows a max inrush current of 40 amps. I think a 50 amp breaker and #8 wire would probably do, to prevent nuisance trips on start up. Others will disagree I'm sure.

Thanx thats what I figured. What yo u think of these machines?

I bought my Lincoln sw175 from a guy who bought an Everlast all in one unit. He said he liked it, and preferred it to the Lincoln. He kept both for about a year just to be sure, then sold the Lincoln. I considered buying one too, but when this sw175 came up for $650 I bought it instead. I'm very much a novice tig welder, so I'm not sure i even need all the fancy settings to complicate stuff at this point. Maybe some where down the road I might upgrade to a newer inverter machine.

I think you'll find a lot of mixed opinions on the everlast welders on the net......Go ask this question on welding web.....lol

I understand that the Everlast machines work OK but I've heard that support can be difficult. That is, if the machine blows up, you will probably have to get an exchange rather than a repair.

As to any comparisons with Lincoln and Miller, a person should do their own research. In my case, I had a Lincoln SP175 Plus for about 8 years. That's a solid machine with a variable power control. It worked perfectly within its parameters. I gave it to my son when I got my new Miller 252 about three years ago and it's still going strong.

It's not even an argument about not buying Chinese machinery. It's more of whether you can get support. I know that Jody of Welding Tips and Tricks uses an Everlast from time to time, but he's well-connected and I'm sure that they would take good care of him if he had any trouble.
    Last edited by GNM109; 02-11-2017 at 11:27 AM.

It's a standard Chinese welder with US pre-sales inspection and post-sales support. The latter is the useful bit. It'll do what the specification says it'll do and it will be as good as any other inverter TIG/SMAW unit. If it breaks, repair will be by board replacement, once the fault is diagnosed. Everlast seem to have a reasonable reputation for supporting their products.

Not a direct user:- extrapolating from my ownership of a differently badged, similarly designed, Chinese multi-process welder and Everlast's reputation on the Interwebs.

Here's a hack: Cheap pyrex cups for TIG-welding
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Glass-...gAAOSwx6pYt5NZ
    https://www.fasttech.com/p/5960800

Mount with Viton O-ring over existing cup or machine your own adapter. Or just use kapton-tape and tape the pyrex tube to existing cup...
    Tig welding has never been this easy!

I have the everlast powertig 185. Had it about 3 years now and works great. I use it mainly for aluminum welding.

I got an older miller SW250 (transformer type) because they are reliable. I know when I turn the switch on I will be able to weld today.

I bought a new hypertherm PM65 because everyone said they are the best inverter plasma cutter to get. Its been in the shop twice within the first year and a half because if anything happens it shuts down. Had to have the display replaced right out of the box. Then some component inside replaced a year later after not all that much use. All luckily under warranty but still I couldn't get work done because the tool was in the shop.

I won't ever buy another inverter machine.
    Andy

I bought my Miller Tigrunner 250 about 9 years ago and have never had a single problem with the 500 pound beast. Works great for stick also, and if I want to weld razor blades at 2-3 amps, I can. I got the pulsar option, and really enjoy using it with aluminum.

Dan L
    "Normal people ... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."
    Nardini lathe owners, unite!