Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Oroville Dam disaster

Default Oroville Dam disaster

This is OT., but I wonder if we have any members in the vicinity of Oroville. As I understand it the emergency spillway is expected to fail (the primary spillway is already out of action).

Oroville, the highest dam in the USA, is apparently not in danger of failing. But if the emergency spillway is eroding I don't understand how the integrity of the dam can be maintained.

I don't have a good link to streaming coverage, or coverage of the streaming (take your pick). I hope this will not be hard to find.
    Allan Ostling

Fail? As in erode away due to flow exceeding volume/duration design limits? Or due to something else?

The title says 'Oroville Dam Disaster'. Has the disaster begun or is it pending. What is at stake.
    Cue up Vera Lynn and let the credits roll ...

Quote Originally Posted by aostling View Post
    This is OT., but I wonder if we have any members in the vicinity of Oroville. As I understand it the emergency spillway is expected to fail (the primary spillway is already out of action).

Oroville, the highest dam in the USA, is apparently not in danger of failing. But if the emergency spillway is eroding I don't understand how the integrity of the dam can be maintained.

I don't have a good link to streaming coverage, or coverage of the streaming (take your pick). I hope this will not be hard to find.
    You are making **** up

The sluice way concrete surface surface has broken up in some areas, but that is not a disaster.

Ok, found a recent video. Definately looks serious, I sure would not want to be downstream tonight after what I just saw ...

LiveCopter3 surveys Oroville auxilliary spillway

I've been following this story since it's inception. Very tense situation, seems as though developments are changing by the hour.
    My best wishes to all of those affected by this potential catastrophe. Hope they get a handle on it soon.

The latest news is not good!

http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...htmlstory.html

Feb. 12, 2017, 8:05 p.m.
    "This is not a Drill. Repeat this is not a drill,” the National Weather Service said Sunday, urging people living below Oroville Dam to evacuate. The evacuation was ordered because of a “hazardous situation” involving the Northern California dam's emergency spillway. The National Weather Service said the auxiliary spillway is expected to fail and could send an “uncontrolled release of flood waters from Lake Oroville.”
    Home
    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience....well that comes from poor judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by CalM View Post
    You are making **** up

The sluice way concrete surface surface has broken up in some areas, but that is not a disaster.
    He's not and that not the issue. The emergency spillway (not the concrete spillway) is being undercut so they have now massively increased the flow down the damaged concrete spillway.

As at 8 pm pst it looks like the disaster many be avoided - lake has fallen almost enough but the main spillway will be toast.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 02-13-2017 at 12:00 AM.

Fortunately the spillway and emergency spillway are separate from the dam and the dam is in no danger. But, many thousands of residents have already evacuated because of the risk of the emergency spillway failing and causing downstream flooding. And a major rain is forecast in the next couple of days. So, they still have to let the damaged spillway carry water to lower the lake so the coming rains won't cause the emergency spillway to fail catastrophically.

It will be a tense few days for residents downstream from the dam.

Mike

In the video link earlier, near the end there is footage of a bridge well down river where the water level appears nearing the underside of the spans. Odd to see heavy evacuee congestion in two lanes of the bridge while the other two lanes (opposite direction) remain empty.

Hopefully they get it under control soon, Apparently no smaller dams upstream?

Biggest problem with the spillway is that it's an earthen dam, same as Hardy up here. It's essentially a dirt pile supporting a thin concrete face on the upstream side. A failed spillway is not good at all for an earthen dam.

In the video I see water leaking through the embankment to the left of the emergency spillway. That is a very bad thing. If I lived below the dam I would be very frightened.