Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: Oroville Dam disaster

All this, and my dad has to befriend a "civil engineer" (so he claimed) to help build our garage (and we helped build his)...while we were pouring the concrete foundation and flooring he said "It doesn't matter how much water you put into the mix. More water makes it easier to work with.". I was 12 and I knew better. I finally had to get 3 books from the library to show my dad so we could make the concrete properly. Of course, we had already poured 1/2 the floor with the soup that guy made. Good thing that garage was only meant to be used to repair semi-trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    In Houston, your new driveway will be poured using Tabby concrete, made from oyster shell, dredged from the GoM. Will slowly dissolve during heavy rainfall.
    A few years ago I worked on a house built before the civil war, the foundation had oyster shells in mortar and bricks, some of those bricks looked like Swiss cheese and crumbled like stale bread. Was interesting to see that most of the bricks had hand or finger prints on them.

While working in the crawlspace, I found an old brass wrinkle paint oil can, some unidentified tools or parts of tools and a small leather pouch with old coins, some US others foreign including some Chinese. Certain the can's nowhere as old as the house itself, but was a neat find.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_r View Post
    All this, and my dad has to befriend a "civil engineer" (so he claimed) ....
    Was he polite?

If so, he may have been exactly what he claimed......

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Was he polite?

If so, he may have been exactly what he claimed......
    He wasn't when I told him you don't make concrete that way...

This update shows that the spillway has eroded a deep new course: http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/cal...140284228.html. They need to complete repairs before November (the start of the next rainy season). That could be tough!
    Allan Ostling

The amount of water in concrete is fairly important but adjusting the water does affect the "slump", normally specified, low slumps are generally pumping, self levelling or self compacting, high slumps need vibration most high strength concrete contains chopped glass reinforcing fibre, doesn't take much suprisingly, concrete is a science of its own, oh and it's designed to give you a bad back, I've decided that concrete is a punishment
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by boslab View Post
    The amount of water in concrete is fairly important but adjusting the water does affect the "slump", normally specified, low slumps are generally pumping, self levelling or self compacting, high slumps need vibration most high strength concrete contains chopped glass reinforcing fibre, doesn't take much suprisingly, concrete is a science of its own, oh and it's designed to give you a bad back, I've decided that concrete is a punishment
    Mark
    Yep! I did concrete for half of a summer in my late teens, that was enough for me

There is a new report that has a few opinions in it.

The state awarded the $275 million job to the lowest bidder, Kiewit Infrastructure West Co., this past April.

Too much to expect that the lowest bidder also offered to best solution I suppose?
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

You get what you pay for. The new part will probably collapse long before it should.