Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pipe threads on a manifold block?

The whole concept of using a tapered tap seems strange; at the point that you stop and turn the tap back to get it out, don't you leave 3 or 4 rows of partly cut threads and partly formed chips along the length of the thread, where each cutting edge stopped cutting?

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
    The whole concept of using a tapered tap seems strange; at the point that you stop and turn the tap back to get it out, don't you leave 3 or 4 rows of partly cut threads and partly formed chips along the length of the thread, where each cutting edge stopped cutting?
    Yup, but they still work--millions and millions of pipe threads have been made this way...
    Keith

I measured the threads with my Whitworth thread gauge and it is a 19G So I ordered 1/4 19G taps. Thanks for the help.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

I received my taps today. I had to tap 10 holes for the fittings. mounted the aluminum block in the vise on my fixturing table. Mounted the tap in a tap holder for my hydraulic tapping arm and had at it. Five minutes later I had my fittings installed and proceeded to run the hose to the cylinders. Worked a treat. I tapped the first hole by hand and then thought screw this and used the hydraulic tapping arm. Turned the rpm's down pretty slow, sprayed WD40 on all the holes and zap, done. I love my tapping arm.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!