Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Chevrolet Pickup Silverado Engine Failure

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfootin View Post
    Take a piece of hose, one end to your ear and find the source.
    Well ill give that a try but it really doesnt seem to be any one specific part. Anyone else get a chance to check out the video. It may be nothing and all in my head but without having a reference its hard for me to judge.

Having just rebuilt a 6.0 LS engine for an 03 Escalade myself. The failure was the #4 valve spring broke, bent the valve and piston hit the valve. It DID NOT make a squeeling noise either. It still ran and it was louder than a lifter tick and tons of DTC’s. My wife was smart enough to shut it down and tow it home. The LS engine is one of the easiest engines to rebuild as long as you follow the LS torque to yield procedures as well as other chapters in the book. I mean cake. I sent the bare block out and heads, crank and pistons. Had the heads done and block bored and minimal decking. Got all the parts back (Polished crank, heads, new pistons, rings, bearings etc) put it together in a day or so. Made a custom pre-luber for and it runs great. Not sure why the OP was told needs an engine, what is the exact diagnosis. Total spent on my 6.0 build was 2900.00, this includes all misc parts, plugs, belts, plug wires, and even brake lines too.. Well worth it in my book. I have to check out the vid.

It's hard to imagine the oil is seriously low on a GM vehicle. My '00 Silverado has an oil level monitor that let's me know when it's less than 1/2 quart below the hatched band on the dipstick. I'm pretty sure that's still standard equipment.

BTW, I found that out by adding oil after in increments after an O&F change, not by neglect. The 4.8L engine uses almost no oil between changes, which seems to be the norm.
    The law of gravity is fine, but the minimum sentencing guidelines are much too harsh.

Anyone have a chance to listen to the video I posted ?? Curious what thoughts you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Anyone have a chance to listen to the video I posted ?? Curious what thoughts you have.
    I did, it sounds too noisy for a gm v8. but it's not really clear sound wise. pull the serp. belt and see if it gets quieter

Definitely hear injectors but does not mean your off the hook so to speak, injectors are timed so that depending on engine config they can mask other more serious sounds like piston slap or piston pin or lifters just depends...

buy yourself a mechanics stethoscope they are well worth the money for all kinds of machinery

the hose trick can work in a pinch and even just using a solid of somekind but NEVER use the latter around rotational parts, some guy put a long screw driver handle through the side of his head that way...

Ok so what I think im hearing then are the injectors. It reminds me of something like that as its not a knock as I have heard from listening to the other lifter issues heard on youtube. Plus this would have to be every single lifter if it was indeed that. I uploaded a video to photo bucket that im waiting to appear. Ill post once I can get the link.
    FYI guys my 2014 Silverado has direct fuel injection, like a diesel engine it has a high pressure mechanical fuel pump that makes a ticking noise at idle. I also believe it has an electric fuel pump and filter in the gas tank. Yes its a gasoline engine, 5.3.
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - MakerGear M2 3D printer- 20 Watt Ray Fine Galvo fiber laser, 6 Watt blue laser engraver project

Well ill give that a try but it really doesnt seem to be any one specific part. Anyone else get a chance to check out the video. It may be nothing and all in my head but without having a reference its hard for me to judge.
    Axkiker: I assume you have checked oil level, not trying to insult your intelligence, but had to ask. This sounds, to me, like low oil pressure. Have you checked you the oil pressure? Not trying to get under your skin, just needed to ask. Lifters will clatter just like this, with low oil pressure, just ask me how I know.

Sarge

Quote Originally Posted by sarge41 View Post
    Axkiker: I assume you have checked oil level, not trying to insult your intelligence, but had to ask. This sounds, to me, like low oil pressure. Have you checked you the oil pressure? Not trying to get under your skin, just needed to ask. Lifters will clatter just like this, with low oil pressure, just ask me how I know.

Sarge
    Or perhaps the wrong grade or type of oil? Anything can happen.
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - MakerGear M2 3D printer- 20 Watt Ray Fine Galvo fiber laser, 6 Watt blue laser engraver project

Quote Originally Posted by sarge41 View Post

Sarge

No insult taken. It does indeed have plenty of oil. I however do not know the true oil pressure as my sending unit crapped out. Sounds like ill be fixing that asap and getting an idea of pressure.