Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of upgrading to a larger lathe

I definitely don't want a Chinese machine if at all possible. I would welcome any and all comments/suggestions.

I understand your sentiments perhaps but I would like to know your reasoning. These things are getting pretty good now. I respect your right to choose what you will but there are many reasons why people take this attitude. I would love to hear what your thinking is kindest regards Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

With lots of people thinking the convenience of a gear head is worth a premium you might get a belt drive cheaper. Use it as is for a few years and when funds permit add on a VFD.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair Hosie View Post
    I definitely don't want a Chinese machine if at all possible. I would welcome any and all comments/suggestions.

I understand your sentiments perhaps but I would like to know your reasoning. These things are getting pretty good now. I respect your right to choose what you will but there are many reasons why people take this attitude. I would love to hear what your thinking is kindest regards Alistair
    Are you lumping Taiwan in there too? The Taiwan made stuff has a much better reputation for quality than mainland China; my older Jet machines are a good example of that.

China is not the only country that makes lathes, you can buy them made in Europe, from India and North Korea for just a few examples.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
    China is not the only country that makes lathes, you can buy them made in Europe, from India and North Korea for just a few examples.
    You might not want to pick that one up in person.

ME

I guess my main reason for not wanting Chinese, with the exception of Taiwan, is that its been my experience that it not so much quality itself as the inconsistency in quality with many of the brands.

I think that's a valid point. I have seen and used a lot of Jet machines over the years. One Bridgeport copy was very well done, others in the same time period were junk. I haven't seen any Jet lathes I would get excited about, though their prices are higher than other machines I think are better quality (in general). To me, Jet is way overpriced and you never know what you're getting unless you can inspect the exact machine before you buy it. Shop Fox is another brand that seems over priced.

All this Asian lathe bashing is valid up to a point. But consider the alternative. If we assume that buying new from Europe or America is out of the question due to the price then we are faced with a decision between older used American or European or new Asian.

Now if you can find an older machine in GOOD CONDITION then buying used American or European is an excellent way to get some very nice equipment. But this assumes that you're a gambling man and willing to buy used sight unseen or that you are in a position to inspect and measure before buying. It also assumes that you can even FIND one of these machines within a reasonable distance and price. And in some areas of the continent having all those factors occur together is just about as likely as winning the Lotto.

So being realistic about this a lot of us will have to buy some manner of Asian machine.

I was all starry eyed when I got my own Asian lathe. That lasted until I was setting it up and started looking into things. I rapidly realized that it was a "constructor kit loosely assembled for shipping convenience". I basically stripped and tuned all the major sub assemblies of the machine other than the head stock. And along the way did a few modifications such as proper felt wipers. I pretty much needed to do that or the lathe would have worn itself down in short order since there was grit in the parts everywhere. It was like the machine was assembled in the shower of sparks and grit coming from the surface grinders or assembled in the foundry amongst the molding sand.

Looking at the latest Grizzly lathes in the showroom in Bellingham shows that things are a little better now. But I still found sharp edge ready to shave skin and other things that would still make me tear down and tune up all the parts and assemblies.

My new knee mill purchased a year ago supports this viewpoint as well. Yes it would turn out of the box. But there were a bunch of things that would make it challenging to use if I had not spent a bunch of hours tuning it up and performing modifications.

So I would suggest that the key is to not think of any Asian lathes or mills as a buy and use the same day sort of proposition. But with a little TLC and time they can do excellent work and last for many years of home or light industrial use.
    Last edited by BCRider; 02-17-2017 at 04:07 PM.

The Chinese can put out top quality if you pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    The Chinese can put out top quality if you pay for it.
    That might well be the case with the Grizzly South Bend lathes. Looking them over in the showroom a few months back they did in fact look very nice and at least the external details I could see were well done. But when I read all the moaning from the home shop types over the prices in past threads I don't think many of us are able to justify the cost or are willing spend that much.