Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cylindrical Square Project

Did you try Gudgeon pin?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaakko Fagerlund View Post
    If your TPG wheel is trued from the side also, touch the end of the square (the ring part) with it to true the end.
    Good idea.

Here a picture of my cylindrical standard
    It is 4.325 tall and 2.500 in diameter ( 63.5mm x 109.855 mm )
    There is a very faint etching on one edge that says
    Cummins
    The Part number is 3680582 as I read it - The first , second and forth digits are smudged so those numbers may be 1,0, and 8 respectively
    That means the first 4 digits could be 3680, or 1680, or 3688, 1688 , 3080,1080, 3088, 3688 , but the last three are firm as 582.
    Rich
    Super premium precision , for a very low cost.

Last edited by Rich Carlstedt; 02-17-2017 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
    Super premium precision , for a very low cost.
    Come on, give it up. How much and from where? A quick google of that PN and cummins comes up with a couple vendors overseas and no prices.

$13.30 from China. They even put "Made in USA" on it

http://wancum.en.made-in-china.com/p...als-N-K-M.html

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    The wrist pins may be perfectly round and have exact dia's. to the tenth on each end but are the ends square ? I'm guessing not square enough to become a precision cylindrical square without some work. The ends of a wrist pin are really an insignificant surface since all they contact is the spring or circlip.

So I you happen to find one now your tasked with squaring up at least on end.

JL...............
    Doesn't matter as long as it's not a mile off. Some nicer cylinder squares that are meant to MEASURE (not just act as a reference) are tilted purposefully so you can rotate them till it rests evenly on the side of your part then it tells you the error.

Whenever you use a cylinder square you should always interpolate your indicator zero between the two extremes of sideways lean. If the square had .0002" of tilt from the base to indicator tip (well, measuring bumper to tip) then I'll set up my indicator to read -one tenth up to +one tenth as I spin the cylinder while in contact with the squareness comparator. Then I know my indicator is set to dead zero as long as the cylinder is parallel.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk