Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: OT - phone scam call - never say Yes

I used to get dozens of BS phone calls every single day. I now have a call blocker device next to my phone that has solved all of my phone call problems. If an unknown number shows up on the caller ID all I need to do is push one button and it's blocked forever. I have even blocked my own number since they've tried spoofing that too. Stores thousands of numbers. Best $30 I ever spent. If it is a call from a "legitimate" company and they want to contact me, they can do it by mail or in person at my front door. If that is too inconvenient for them - oh well. Not my problem.

I block all unknown calls now because the number of scammers have exploded. Do not call lists are laughable. If that upsets the "legit" telemarketers then maybe they should all get together and convince the proper authorities to actually do something about it. There is no law that says I HAVE to answer ANY phone call. If someone wants to try to sell or "give" me (lol) something that I didn't ask for, they will have to do it standing in front of me at my front door and at their own risk. I don't have any obligation to listen to their spiel or support them and their family because they have a lousy job. If they have something I would be interested in then life is golden. Otherwise no means no - something that telemarketers are told to pretend they didn't hear. That is where being on my property comes in....

Sure is nice and peaceful around here now without the phone ringing all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair Hosie View Post
    Maybe I am getting old.I like modernity and change which is good or needed. However with the language it is not so easy to understand for example this Thanks for the (HEADS UP).
    "Heads up" = Word of warning.... or notice.
    Last edited by Highpower; 02-16-2017 at 03:40 PM.

The voice mail / answering machine works very well, although it still indicates that it's a "live" number. I always tell people I know to leave a message, because I'm not always near the phone, and I have become accustomed to just letting it ring. Most telemarketers and scammers won't leave a message.

Recently I've been getting some "missed calls" on my cell phone with unknown callers, and some text messages with "No Subject" also usually from "unknown". Into the bit bucket they go! Unlike most people, I usually have my phone turned off unless I'm expecting a call. Otherwise, I ask people to send a text or leave a voicemail.

The caller ID can be spoofed, so call blocking a specific number can block legitimate calls.

Unfortunately, there are many people who don't have the skills and brainpower to do much more than jobs like telemarketing, but I figure that I give enough to various charities that I don't need to give to any more, and often the ones that use telemarketing are rip-off clones of those that are legit, and often with similar names, such as "Make-A-Wish" and "Grant-A-Wish". Beware of anything with names that contain key words like "children", "orphans", "cancer", "veterans", "police", "firefighters", etc. Even some legitimate charities are poorly rated, where most of their income goes to administration (including highly paid CEOs). I stopped giving to the "Wounded Warrior Project" after learning about some of their negative ratings, and they also waste my donations by sending mail requests several times a month. And the pleas seemed to become more frequent after I made a donation.

And anyone who is selling something should just have a good web presence so I can find what they have if I need it. Otherwise, advertising doesn't work on me to convince me to buy something I don't need or want. Cut your advertising budget and sell the thing cheaper - that works for me.

"Heads up" means "pay attention". "Hold your head up high" is sometimes given as advice to someone who is unhappy and dealing with problems. But I would say this is not good advice "if they're shooting at you"!
    Last edited by PStechPaul; 02-16-2017 at 06:15 PM.

About answering machines: I discovered quite by accident that most robocalls and maybe some telemarketers hang up after 4 rings. Setting up a new machine, I inadvertently set it to 5 rings and experienced a dramatic reduction of robocalls recorded.
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    Even some legitimate charities are poorly rated, where most of their income goes to administration (including highly paid CEOs). I stopped giving to the "Wounded Warrior Project" after learning about some of their negative ratings, and they also waste my donations by sending mail requests several times a month. And the pleas seemed to become more frequent after I made a donation.
    Actually it's worse than that. Some organizations are now using "professional fund raisers". I get calls for the PBA 3 to 4 times a year. Out of
    curiosity I once ask this pest what percentage of the donations go to the PBA. He said 15%. Just say no to telemarketers.

I had an odd call today, one I haven't heard before on my cell. It was "please wait a moment while we connect your call...". Then a few seconds later: "We apologize for not connecting, it will be connected quickly...". The maybe 15 seconds go by so I hung up. Checking the number and it is a US toll free number that makes no sense to me. No clue what that is about. I did not say anything other than my usual answering "Evan speaking". I never say "hello" as that triggers the scam recordings.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Evan, they would rather waste your time than their own because your time costs them nothing. The computer does all the dialling and waiting for a call to be answered. When you answer the call, it puts you through to the next operator. Must save them a heap of time with unanswered calls, waiting for the phone to ring, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    Hopefully they don't send the repo man lol

The problem with your approach is credit rating, at least it is here. The way commercial terms work, and its kind off messed up, once they invoice you, you own the goods and you owe them the money in the eyes of the credit world. You may not ever have to pay and a judge might throw it out and give them a tongue lashing.....but in the meantime anything you try and do with credit will be a problem.

It always really annoyed me that all someone has to do is say you them money, even if they are wrong, and it can have a lot of really negative consequences. There are limited recourses and they are time consuming.
    The only way to lose your credit ability in here is to have unpaid bill that goes through a collector agency and if you still don't pay, it is taken to court and if you do not object, it is ruled that you owe the money and your personal record gets a 5 year marking that you are not credit worthy.

But the thing is, if you object a bill from the collector, they have to get proof that it is infact a legitimate reason to bill you and if there is no agreement to be found of such a deal, they are forced to drop the case and inform you in 30 days.

In the case I mentioned of sending me free socks & underwear, it is by law my property as I haven't requested such products to be sent to me and they haven't picked them back in 14 days. Also, as I haven't agreed to any subscription service (remember, I only said yes send me the free stuff), I'm not obligated to pay anything. If someone sends you a product you didn't request and demands payment or sending the product back, you do not have to do anything as the dal was not initiated by you.

And the wording in a call or ad has to be carefully thought out, as if they say 'free', then it has to be free as in no charges, no shipping, no nothing.

Mmmm, warm socks
    Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Happened again this morning...

Me: Hello?
    small pause...
    Voice on phone: Hello this is Matt...
    Me: Hello.
    Voice on phone: I am a third party representative from [some vague and now forgotten agency] calling on a recorded line, can you hear me OK?
    Me: I can hear you very clearly.
    Voice on phone:....[click]

Me:HaHaHaHaHaHa

These voices sound like college students.

Some of you have spoken with me, in person or on the phone. Do I sound stupid?
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

what about just saying "uh huh" instead of yes? I think I naturally do that anyways lol