Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: OT - phone scam call - never say Yes

A call from a number you don't recognize, probably from a city and state where you don't know anyone....
    Why are you answering the phone?
    If it's a genuine call, they'll leave a message.
    If it's a family emergency, they'd be calling 911 first and you second.

Well, I took the time to look up the number. It was from a scam "collection agency". I wonder what they were trying to pull with that sort of starting message?
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

A little while ago I called the Telus people and managed to dig my way to the real engineering department. I had a long talk with a very informed engineer there about these scammers. I asked why they couldn't just block out of country scammers, especially those that are very well known to call many people and especially when they falsely represent themselves as a local company wanting to be paid for something. Among other things the telephone company is making money off these calls since it costs me 15 cents for each call, even if it is just a one second call.

He told me that there is a rule in our communications act that prevents them from shutting down any calling party regardless of what they are known to be doing. I checked and he was right. Seems like we need to get the law changed a bit here in Canada.

I should mention that he did give me one piece of advice, set any known number to go directly to texting so the phone won't ring. That would work except I have texting shut off on my phone. My cell phone(s) are bare and clean without even my name on it. That is for security reasons. It is a phone and nothing more.
    Last edited by Evan; 02-17-2017 at 02:39 PM.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by reggie_obe View Post
    To save ya'll the trouble of reading the whole article ...

"Primarily, we havenít yet been able to identify any scenario under which a scammer could authorize charges in another personís name simply by possessing a voice recording of that person saying 'yes,' without also already possessing a good deal of personal and account information for that person, and without being able to reproduce any other form of verbal response from that person.

Moreover, even if such a scenario existed, itís hard to imagine why scammers would need to utilize an actual audio recording of the victimís repeating the word ďyesĒ rather than simply providing that response themselves."

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    what about just saying "uh huh" instead of yes? I think I naturally do that anyways lol
    Five by five, loud and clear.
    Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

You're over thinking it.
    Them: Can you here me?
    You: No.

A call from a number you don't recognize, probably from a city and state where you don't know anyone....
    Why are you answering the phone?
    Because they spoof the phone number so that the area code and the first three of the phone number are the same as yours.

Snopes is ONE guy and his wife who run a web site. Just because they couldn't confirm this scam doesn't mean Jack Schiett.

Years ago I had a company in Florida call me, confirm the information about my company for their free directory service (which was all publicly available information from the state) and two months later I notice a charge (IIRC about $12) on my phone bill. The bastards "signed" me up for a paid directory service. Got the phone company to refund all the charges and put a block of all third party billing on my phone lines.

Steve

San Diego, Ca *** Please let us know where you are from too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaakko Fagerlund View Post
    Five by five, loud and clear.
    Lol ..

For 4 yrs in the Air Force, I was in a field where .. five by five .. was a 100 times a day normal response.

Actually we just shortened it to ... five by

But anyways .. haven't heard it since so I felt a smile come on when you said that.

Thanks for the memory

How bout

2 X 2 to loud and to often
    George from Conyers Ga.
    Remember
    The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.