Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: on topic engineering accident could have been worse warning stupidity on my part.

Default on topic engineering accident could have been worse warning stupidity on my part.

I needed to cut some metal hollow tubing to make to new grinder safety guards a thing I usually do by hand hacksaw, The machine is simply a normal (floor mounted standing grinder).
    I couldn't find my small Makita four and a half inch grinder, so set out to use my Dewalt nine inch.
    Here's the inexcusable mistake. I couldn't find a nine inch disk the fibre carborundum type. So I removed the guard and set about installing a twelve or fourteen inch. This when fitted made the grinder take of almost like an aeroplane and it was all I could do to hold onto it.
    I started to make a cut and then turned to pull the flex a bit longer as it was curled a bit .
    As I did so I felt all in a millisecond a tear through my pullover and the tee shirt below and I furiously pushed it away from my body, it was rising up and down of it's own accord TOO LATE , I ended thankfully *if that is correct term given the scenario* with about a four inch gash in my belly. Fortunately it never really penetrated deeply through the epidermis so no guts hanging out ,which I have witnessed albeit in a photograph.
    I cleaned it as best I could and applied cream and a cotton wool bandage held together with medical tape. Today the nurse who was checking my warfarin count did not like the look of it and she asked me to go for an injection for a tetanus boost. All in a days work. But never again first thing I did when I came back was to remove the blade and look out the Makita smaller machine. Alistair I know you will let me have it for my stupidity and well deserved as I said no excuses. Just a moment or more of mad thinking. Funnily my son has a nice three phase tube and metal cutter all built into a table machine with foot lock down holder this is a proper factory designed machine second hand of course and I have not brought it from his factory unit yet . At least it gave me a fright.Alistair
    Last edited by Alistair Hosie; 02-16-2017 at 02:17 PM.
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Fourteen inch cut-off disk without wheelguard, damn..

Good to hear you survived your experiment!
    Did you pass your pint over with the words "Hold my beer and watch this" ?
    ;-)

You were sooooooo lucky. Guardian angel was working OT - you owe him a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    You were sooooooo lucky. Guardian angel was working OT - you owe him a beer.
    I suspect that his Guardian Angel was the one holding Alastair's beer and the video camera for the You Tube moment.....

There's some things we dream up that should cause our Spidey Senses to tingle (I hope you're all Spiderman fans). And it's wise to pay attention to that sort of tingle. An oversize cut off wheel in a hand held angle grinder with no guard would certainly have my own Spidey Senses all a'tingle. Not only for the catching up of clothing but for the possible shattering of the wheel and shrapnel flying around the shop that could occur if the disk wobbled and grabbed in the cut.

As a fellow warfarin user I am REALLY glad it wasn't any worse than it was.
    I won't beat up on you for doing it Alistair. But only because I know how easily you would bruise...

Glad to hear you are OK though.

Highpower thanks brother,
    Yes I bruise like heck warfarin sees to that. It won't happen again tomorrow I need to do the other one. About six months ago my neighbour was helping me move a very heavy powered hacksaw into the shop as we got it close to the door on a steep slope I was in front of it and my neighbour behind as the machine dangled like a hanging man on the end of a short chain on my good heavy duty engine lifter. I have not used the lifter too much since I bought it.
    As it all dangled there , hacksaw in the air, for some reason I said to my neighbour Colin wait just a second, and without any -good reason stepped quickly inside the shop itself as this was outside when I stepped into the shop within a few seconds there was an almighty bang behind me and the whole shee-bang collapsed fell over and took the nice expensive aluminium double glazed door with it .
    Hundreds of small pieces of glass about the size of cigarette stumps, flying everywhere.
    We eventually composed ourselves, and weighing it up, decided the weight of the Qualters and Smith hacksaw must have weighed about 300 kilos.
    It would definitely have landed on top of me were I was previously positioned in front of it killing me outright as it would have been on my chest . It eventually took five men i.e Colin, and my son Alistair and three well paid dustbin men who eventually gave up and reluctantly gave me back my fifteen quid- pounds , I paid cash just to lift it from the ground up around two feet into the workshop door step where I could have winched it inside into situ. SO Yes I do and have for many years felt and worked with our angel guides and protectors should it be part of the plan. You guys are my best pals God Bless.
    Last edited by Alistair Hosie; 02-16-2017 at 04:51 PM.
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Amazing how many times the smart part of our brains send a caution which we ignore. On Tuesday morning we were headed out to physical therapy , I noticed there was a patch of ice right next to the car where I would have to place my foot to boost into the car. Rather than asking my wife to adjust the placement of the car I figured I could deal with the ice. WRONG! Long story short, I wound up on the ground and had an ambulance ride to hospital for an overnight stay for observation. No lasting damage thank goodness but we are still learning to deal with the aftermath of the stroke..Life goes on, and on. Beats the alternative or sure.
    Errol Groff

New England Model Engineering Society
    http://neme-s.org/

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GroffErrol?feature=mhee

Clumsy Bastard

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Glad to hear you are OK.

There is a lesson here for all of us. Right tool for the job. And OSHA may just be right some of the time.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!