Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: on topic engineering accident could have been worse warning stupidity on my part.

Years ago a friend of mine got cut across his stomach with a grinding disc. This happened in a body shop and they poured lacquer thinner in the cut so he wouldn't need a tetanus shot, hurt like hell!!!

THANX RICH
    People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Well if it makes you feel less dumb, I use to hold m-80 fire crackers(the real deals) in my hand and light the fuse before throwing them. I am lucky to have all 10 fingers still, let alone 2 hands!

I always work alone in my shop so I always say to myself, "What could go wrong" In my 70 years of machining I've had a few misshaps but nothing quite that dangerous. Glad you're ok old fart.
    The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Since Bron's last bout of illness I decided to buy a set of walkie talkie's which I take one always to the shop with me and Bron keeps the other beside her indoors. I got them on Ebay after reading an article about which were best to buy. Surprisingly some of the motorolo's got a lower star point count than the cheaper ones we got. They cost if I remember around sixteen to eighteen pounds with postage. Really they are very clear and easy to operate. As I said to Bronwen I should have done this years ago, for peace of mind , and to let me know if someone was at the front door to talk to them etc. Thanks again guys for your great kindness as always. Could I just point out to a few members who maybe thinking these are the half inch thick type of disk that they are very thin it seems like it was indeed centrifugal forces on the larger wheel. Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

You got cheap lesson with that, neighbour family's father died couple of years ago when a half of big bench grinder wheel hit him on the chest.

A couple of years ago I got careless with my 10 inch Unisaw table saw. The kickback throwing a chunk of plywood into my gut was about as painful as any other event I have encountered. No permanent damage and no blood, but it hurt bad. I have taken all the kickback precautions, as stand to the side.

Jim

I have never (not yet!) had anything like this happen. I like to think the precautions I take are the reason but it basically boils down to "luck" and "not yet."

Glad you are ok Alistair.

Quote Originally Posted by vpt View Post
    One would think with the much bigger wheel the rpms would drop some because of the mass.
    It might take longer to get up to speed, but the steady-rate speed should be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by andywander View Post
    It might take longer to get up to speed, but the steady-rate speed should be the same.
    I don't know. If the motor has enough power to spin the bigger disc at the same speed. I don't think a 1/20hp motor will spin a 30" wheel at the same speed as a 2" wheel.
    Last edited by vpt; 02-17-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    Andy

Alastair, your tail of woe makes my stomach hurt. Another 1/4 inch and your son might be posting a different thread.
    Watch out for infection. God Bless!
    Bill

About the only thing that slows down a larger wheel is the increased windage and that's small.
    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!