Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press fit bearing hole

Default Press fit bearing hole

Need to machine some parts that will hold a press fit bearing 64mm O.D. and 37mm Depth pocket in some 6061 Al. I know the .002" interference and the chill the bearing heat the part. My question is this ..

I was planning on milling the pocket .010" under and finishing off the pocket with a boring head. Then measuring with my bore gauge to ensure there is a proper fit with no taper

This sound reasonable to you guys

Sure.

Don't worry about chilling the bearing; Heat the AL to 300f and it will drop in.

A boring head is the best way to get a round, true hole. Especially good for use with bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    Sure.

Don't worry about chilling the bearing; Heat the AL to 300f and it will drop in.
    Yup, should be no problem in aluminum. Don't go too crazy with your press fit though. Especially in steels you can actually shrink the bearing race around the bearing balls.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

.002 seems like excessive interference. SKF and other bearing manufacturers have online technical data that specifies hole tolerance for different operating conditions. Those should be your guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Illinoyance View Post
    .002 seems like excessive interference. SKF and other bearing manufacturers have online technical data that specifies hole tolerance for different operating conditions. Those should be your guide.
    On a 2.5" bearing that's roughly the correct interference fit as far as I know, although I would be interested in knowing the tolerance "By the books".

I've always heard the rule that a good interference fit is .001" per inch of part diameter. I wonder if it's true?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre3127 View Post
    Yup, should be no problem in aluminum. Don't go too crazy with your press fit though. Especially in steels you can actually shrink the bearing race around the bearing balls.

Yes.. and that's one reason why you use C3 ("looser then normal") fit bearings with a heavy fit.

All good info guys - thank you very much

Honestly the .002" came from another website that deals with these bearing quite a bit. But now that you have me checking with SKF's website I am thoroughly confused

They actually only have Tolerance charts of cast iron or steel housings. This is going to be 6061 Al. Thought I would take a look at the charts any way and that is when it really got confusing

Being the bearing has a 34mm outside diameter it recommended the IT6 fit from this chart for Cast Iron housings

http://www.skf.com/pages/jsp/catalog...id=tcm:21-6532

So is that um for micrometer on the interference side

So if I'm reading this right it is .000016mm interference fit ?

I get approximately .0006" press fit which in my opinion would be more that adequate. Or make it a slip fit with Loctite primer and Loctite.
    Primer is a must for aluminum.
    Toolznthings

The chainsaws I deal with are 1.5 thou interference for about 1.375 diameter bearing. Heat the housing, drop in the bearing. Done.

Surface finish is a big factor in interference "fit". I'd be happy with 0.002 on a 64mm bearing, but what is the bearing clearance class? I wouldn't do that with a C2.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 02-17-2017 at 09:42 PM.