Thread: Chemical Resistant Gloves

Default Chemical Resistant Gloves

Does anyone know of any gloves that will hold out to lacquer thinner???
    I've tried just about every chemical resistant glove that McMaster has to offer in a skin tight glove and haven't found anything that will hold out to thinner for more than a half hour or less.
    They are all OK in the parts washer but with thinner or paint stripper they swell and it becomes next to impossible to handle any small parts.
    I can't use any heavy bulky type gloves as I can't handle small parts with them.
    The latex ones are great for working with small parts but just don't hold out to the thinner. Any suggestions??

JL..............

The ones I have are from Ansell. Unless they have come up with something new that I'm not aware of.

JL.................

As a member of a hazmat ERT, my handy-dandy PPE manual tells me that you need a laminated film glove like Ansell Barrier gloves: https://www.amazon.com/Ansell-Barrie.../dp/B00SMN1XLC

Be warned that these gloves are thin and tear easily. SOP for using these gloves is to wear a protective outer glove to prevent mechanical damage. They then just act as a liner to protect against the chemical hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    Does anyone know of any gloves that will hold out to lacquer thinner???
    I've tried just about every chemical resistant glove that McMaster has to offer in a skin tight glove and haven't found anything that will hold out to thinner for more than a half hour or less.
    They are all OK in the parts washer but with thinner or paint stripper they swell and it becomes next to impossible to handle any small parts.
    I can't use any heavy bulky type gloves as I can't handle small parts with them.
    The latex ones are great for working with small parts but just don't hold out to the thinner. Any suggestions??

JL..............
    If you check a safety glove chart you will not see lacquer thinner because it is blend of chemicals. Using the Kleenstrip SDS, for example, it is nine different chemicals. Different glove materials vary in their effectiveness against different chemicals. The SDS did give a rather weak recommendation for nitrile, saying it "may offer some protection". The Ansell site was more informative and says the chemical mix will even overpower nitrile after short exposure. They make a special laminated glove called a barrier glove but the down side is that it is fragile and if it must endure much abraison they reccomend using it as a liner under another of their gloves that is more durable. Their site is the best I have found for dealing with this problem.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 6PTsocket View Post
    If you check a safety glove chart you will not see lacquer thinner because it is blend of chemicals. Using the Kleenstrip SDS, for example, it is nine different chemicals. Different glove materials vary in their effectiveness against different chemicals. The SDS did give a rather weak recommendation for nitrile, saying it "may offer some protection". The Ansell site was more informative and says the chemical mix will even overpower nitrile after short exposure. They make a special laminated glove called a barrier glove but the down side is that it is fragile and if it must endure much abraison they reccomend using it as a liner under another of their gloves that is more durable. Their site is the best I have found for dealing with this problem.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Yes, I found that out today. I called them and one of the techs explained this to me.
    He's sending me a sample to try.

JL..................