Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1-wheel cut knurling tool

Getting a STRAIGHT knurl turned out to be LOT more difficult than making a diamond knurl.
    I have now lots of pre-knurled stock for projects

left to right:
    6082 Aluminium
    Thin wall steel tubing
    CR 1018
    Another 1018 bar

I see mention of sharpening the knurling wheel. Can anyone elaborate on the process/tools used to sharpen one?
    Thanks in advance.
    Glenn Bird

This video demostrates the method that I actually use for setting the relief/clearance angle
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FexKdk5pWo

I'll still have to fool around with the starting technique, even that video doesn't show it clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by woodenbird View Post
    I see mention of sharpening the knurling wheel. Can anyone elaborate on the process/tools used to sharpen one?
    Thanks in advance.
    You want a sharp corner as distinct from the chamfered corner you'd use for bump knurling. How you sharpen depends on the equipment at hand. If you have a tool and cutter grinder you probably know how to sharpen jobs that come up and don't need advice. If you have only a lathe and small stuff, hold it in the chuck or a collet, preferably with a copper or aluminum strip between the knurl wheel and the chuck or collet. Get it running true, then go for a tool post grinder or a hand grinder clamped on the compound.
    "I am often asked how radio works. Well, you see, wire telegraphy is like a very long cat. You yank his tail in New York and he meows in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? Now, radio is exactly the same, except that there is no cat." : Albert Einstein

MattiJ,

Thanks for posting. Now I have another tool to make! In a box from the lathe I purchased there were cutters for this but I didn't know how they would be used, now I know how and will be doing so as soon as I get the tool made.
    One question, how is this different than a 2 wheel pressure cutter in terms of load on the spindle and materials being knurled?
    Look forward to any responses.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Getting a STRAIGHT knurl turned out to be LOT more difficult than making a diamond knurl.....
    That's because you were trying to make them so long. The only time I want a straight knurl is for short knobs that I turn to tighten where I want the most grip for turning only. Plus short lengths of straight knurl on small knobs just look "right" to me. On anything as long or longer than it is round I'd much rather have diamond knurling.

Quote Originally Posted by TGTool View Post
    You want a sharp corner as distinct from the chamfered corner you'd use for bump knurling. How you sharpen depends on the equipment at hand. If you have a tool and cutter grinder you probably know how to sharpen jobs that come up and don't need advice. If you have only a lathe and small stuff, hold it in the chuck or a collet, preferably with a copper or aluminum strip between the knurl wheel and the chuck or collet. Get it running true, then go for a tool post grinder or a hand grinder clamped on the compound.
    I turned end of a scraptanium bar to slight press fit for the hole in the wheel, pressed the wheel on the shaft and gave couple of whacks to get the face running true. After that I clamped angle grinder firmly to my hands and proceeded with grinding. Keep the lathe running on maximum speed and you have pretty good changes to get reasonably flat result. slightly concave sharpening is actually advantage at this point, as I finished the sharpening on diamond stone and grinding paste.

After angle grinder and second one after final sharpening: (yes, its a bit overkill)

Sharpening setup with solid-state water cooling:

you can get the wheels with no corner chamfer.....they will pretty much cut right out of the package. Surface grinder is how i've sharpened them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    you can get the wheels with no corner chamfer.....they will pretty much cut right out of the package. Surface grinder is how i've sharpened them.
    Yep, Zeus and Quick make actual cutting wheels, but I had these at hand and cutting wheels cost money (40-50 usd per piece) so...

Hi Matti,

From the photo of the cutter on the pages of text, that's a very nice Finnish you've got there!

(sorry - couldn't resist - running for cover...)

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...