Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1-wheel cut knurling tool

Default 1-wheel cut knurling tool

I promised to show some photos trying to illustrate the usage of my cut knurling tool. I don't have any dimensions as I just dig up some good looking pieces of steel and started to machine. I think anyone can figure their own version with possible improvements and I am happy to help if there something mystery.

These are the main parts:

Knurling tool set to toolpost, mounting shaft angled approx 5-degrees in the tool post to create relief angle for the cutting edge:
    (In this picture the Knurling tool set to cut the second cut of the diamond pattern, lathe run in reverse)

Centering the knurling tool to workpiece with ruler method:

Position for cutting lathe spinning in normal direction:

Rest of the photos are here:
    http://imgur.com/a/nzkag

You really need to flush the tool with coolant or use constant air blast to blow of all the chips so that they don't mangle between the tool and workpiece.

The knurling wheel is "normal" Zeus knurling wheel that I sharpened and polished on both sides:
    https://www.zeus-tooling.de/de.html

Only critical dimension in my "desing" is that the knurling tool cutting edge is in a same line with the long mounting shaft center axis. This way you don't need to repeat the height adjustment when you flip the tool to cut the second cut of the diamond pattern.

I was also pondering on the possibility to make cutting wheel position adjustable so that If I ever need to sharpen the knurling wheel and it becomes thinner I could still adjust the cutting edge position correctly. Should be reasonably easy modification if need rises.

Well done, I like it! I made a simple single wheel knurling tool a while ago, to use in my Rivett lathe, and due to the versatility of the weird-o toolpost on the lathe, it lends itself to cut knurling very well. I have only used it for straight knurls, and for some reason it never occurred to me to angle it and make two different cuts, for diamond knurls! Brilliant. I'll have to give that a try the next time I have call for it.

I'm a big fan of "coining" or straight knurling for small knobs that only need to be turned and not pushed or pulled. I would imagine that a regular angled knurl sharpened in the same manner would do well for straight knurling?

That's a neat tool. I love it. Not as complicated as the two wheel designs. I will have to save this thread for a later project.

Separate question: In your second photo I see a graduated dial that appears to be part of your QC tool holder: it seems to have 40 divisions. I assume it is for setting the angle of the tool on the post. Can you confirm that. And it has a spring around the top. What is that spring used for?
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    I'm a big fan of "coining" or straight knurling for small knobs that only need to be turned and not pushed or pulled. I would imagine that a regular angled knurl sharpened in the same manner would do well for straight knurling?
    Exactly. I have 30-degree knurling wheel waiting for sharpening so that I can use it to cut straight knurls. Fine adjustment setscrews come handy if I want longer part with straight knurl.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    That's a neat tool. I love it. Not as complicated as the two wheel designs. I will have to save this thread for a later project.

Separate question: In your second photo I see a graduated dial that appears to be part of your QC tool holder: it seems to have 40 divisions. I assume it is for setting the angle of the tool on the post. Can you confirm that. And it has a spring around the top. What is that spring used for?
    Thanks!
    Yes, its a Multifix clone toolpost that can be set to 40 different positions. Probably most common toolpost style here.
    The spring is just holding the endplate/swarf cover or whatever that thing is.

that worked well. John Stevenson posted some time ago a similar idea using the common knurl wheel where the pattern is at 45 degrees....use it in that holder and produce a straight knurl

edit: oops missed the post where you noted that already
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 03-09-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Nice. What process did you use to blue/oxidize the part?

Quote Originally Posted by pinstripe View Post
    Nice. What process did you use to blue/oxidize the part?
    Phosphoric acid bath and some parts are blue just because tig welding. Wanted to do parkerizing for the parts but its still cold outside and dont want to "cook" the parkerizing inside.

Forgot to mention the trick to make the split sleeve: its made of two pieces 10x16 key steel stock clamped to 4-jaw chuck, drilled and reamed trough. Key steel stock is a pleasure to machine if yuo dont count the warping habits it has sometimes.