Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How not to store quenching oil.

Default How not to store quenching oil.

Just a quick reminder of forgetting the (duh!) simple stuff can cause unexpected results.

As mentioned in another thread, oil-quenching O-1 stock was done on a couple punches. A plastic film canister (remember those?) was used as a reusable container for the ATF. Seemed like such a great idea; an easily stored, no spill container for quenching small parts…NOT!

It worked perfectly on the 1st punch made from ¼” stock. 3/8”? Not so much….

Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Andy

The previous generation film canisters (< 1975?) might have been a better bet: aluminum body and steel (galvanized?) screw cap.

tobacco tin (no i don't smoke) works well as it has a lid and wide brim.

I use a 5 gallon steel bucket with locking lid and perf steel basket within. Plastic anything is desiring failure.

Buddy did that but he had a 5 gal plastic bucket with a smaller metal container inside with quenching oil in it maybe 2-3 gallons. But he had a few things to harden first few wet fine then the oil got hot and lit off he put the lid on the bucket it slowed the fire down but not for long as the plastic caught fire but long enough to get the fire extinguisher he almost burnt his shop and house down Ken

A jAm jar works well

Part of the issue is for the oil to have enough mass that it won't heat up too much. So I hate to say it but a film canister would only be enough volume of oil to get away with doing something really small before it over heated. And apparently you found the magic combination.

I used an old jam jar for ages. But then I worried about the risk of it shattering. When I was at a paint store one time I saw empty cans I could buy. I picked up a few quart size cans and they've proven to be extremely handy for a couple of jobs such as keeping my quench oil. And the amount is larger so I don't need to worry about the oil over heating. I think they charged me a buck each.

Kinda embarrassing, huh. I probably have at least 5 or 10 suitable empty tins around the shop but something told me this was such a great idea.
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Coffee cans?
    Andy