Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Benchmaster Restore

Default Benchmaster Restore

New to this forum but not quite new to old machines and Tools. Just obtained an old Benchmaster Milling Machine and in the process of restoring it back to its old new self. I've always enjoyed bringing an old machine into my small shop and restoring it for reuse. Ive been wanting a mill to use but can't afford the larger machines nor do I have room for them so when I stumbled onto this small mill I jumped at the chance. I know there's some modern small bench mills on the market but I've always preferred Old American Iron over Chinese made crap. This is the mill as found. After buying and getting it home I did some research and found this had been modified from one of Benchmaster's very early Production Models. Ill try to show the changes that were made as I go along. Right now I'll just show what it looked like when I found it. I'm in the process of tearing it down so more to come and explain...so stand by.

P.S. I'll continue once I can figure out why my photo hosting site isn't working.........stay tuned
    Last edited by OldTimeEtc; 03-17-2017 at 05:04 AM. Reason: adding photo

O t you are a man who thinks just like me rather bring some old stuff back to better than new and prefer well made top quality used and tried over many years machinery as opposed to some Chinese brand new that;s just what I prefer and it is doing no one any harm apart from the expanding apart from the ever expanding military Ch
    STOP RIGHT here as I promised George to be a good boy and stay away from bringing in or adding to political content.
    Off course he is quite correct too . Also I am guilty way too often at going down the political path-rant way too often , so it might as well stop now.
    For all the guys here who might take offense I apologise for my wicked ,wicked ,wicked ,past. I must be punished ouch again ouch. Yay Hold on I never agreed to this physical stuff George ouch Stop it end of . Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Welcome to the madhouse!!

After lots of frustration getting by with the wear in my Benchmaster vertical, about a year ago, maybe more now, I embarked upon a reconditioning program. I've scraped the top of the table, the front of the column and the flats on the knee. That's all I could do without a master straight edge to get in the dove tails.

I then started making a master straight edge. Progress is slow because I'm hand scraping. About wore out my shoulder! So, now I'm involved in rebuilding my Biax power scraper. This is normal around here; fix it to use it! I figure that in about a month I'll have the straight edge finished and will start back on the mill.

I've designed a secondary speed reduction that will be incorporated when it goes back together. The lowest speed of 725 rpm is still too fast for me so the new low will be about 250 rpm. Then there is a FogBuster to be made and a ring light to be installed.

I've already rebuilt the head bearings and seals, the motor, and installed a ball thrust in the knee screw.

Pete
    1973 SB 10K w/ collets, 3 & 4 jaws, face plates, bed turret and other 'stuff'.
    BenchMaster vertical mill, 6" RT, cheap vise.
    Three drill presses, Two bench grinders, Small polishing motor, Hand tools up the kazoo.
    And enough junk that I can never find what I need and always have to make or buy
    something else.

Am I the only one that sees no photos here?

The OP said he will continue after he figures out why his photo hosting service isn't working. He didn't say what that service is.
    Jim

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri in the USA)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Am I the only one that sees no photos here?
    I see all of them......

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

San Diego, Ca *** Please let us know where you are from too.

I can't wait to see the BenchMaster ...

I always liked those mills.
    John Titor, when are you.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    I see all of them......
    I haven't seen any yet...

Pete
    1973 SB 10K w/ collets, 3 & 4 jaws, face plates, bed turret and other 'stuff'.
    BenchMaster vertical mill, 6" RT, cheap vise.
    Three drill presses, Two bench grinders, Small polishing motor, Hand tools up the kazoo.
    And enough junk that I can never find what I need and always have to make or buy
    something else.

none seen here...

Thanks for the comments.....I use Photobucket and its not letting me upload pics for some reason so I can post them here so until I fix this or find another free photo hosting site I'm at a stand still......wish this forum would just let me upload pics from my computer...makes things alot easier.