Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Benchmaster Restore

Oldtime Etc,
    Thanks for posting your rebuild and all it's warts. Please keep us posted however long as many of us enjoy the resurrection of old iron.
    Glenn Bird

Quote Originally Posted by troyadamietz View Post
    Might I ask what you used to restore the tag? It came out great
    The "tag"?? Are you talking about the machine's manufacturing badge? Most badges can be revived to some extent depending on how bad a shape they are in and the methods can differ. This one in particular was in very bad shape. I wanted to preserve the colors but they were too far gone to bring them out. For now I just wanted to be able to read the badge so I simply took one of my smaller old very flat cast iron surface plates I keep around and a very flat block of steel for a sanding block, some 600 wet dry sandpaper and alot of very careful sanding net to a sink with lots of water. The badge being brass helped and the raised lettering cleaned up nicely. Just be careful you don't sand too deeply or the lettering will disappear then clean with a some mineral spirits, blow it dry and a coating of clear satin. I've also thought of revisiting this once I have time and perhaps might try another method of bringing the colors back but that will be another time down a long road. But if I do I'll post detailed pics of the process. One word of advice I give to guys who have never tried restorations. If you're not sure of what you're doing don't experiment on something like this....find something expendable to work on till your confident you can do it. also if what you're restoring is in already nice shape with some minor scratches or some fading sometimes its best to plain 'ol just leave it alone. I've seen guys who have this "wanting everything restored to like new look" fetish but lack the experience and can do more damage than good.
    I know some guys like a complete restoration ...new paint and all and Ive seen some beautiful marvelous restores done this way but I myself like preserving what I can (original paint and finish) unless its absolutely necessary to do so...in other words if the item is too far gone (rusty or repainted horribly) to preserve anything. I feel a vintage machine should look well taken care of but still have its vintage look...why remove the antique from it? Ive always marveled at looking in others shops where they still have machines running that are 100 years old and have been well taken care of but still have their "antique patina". This is purely my own opinion and preference and some might agree or disagree.

To those interested you can check out one of my last restore...a 1951 Logan 11" Metal Lathe , Model 922. Took me 6 months to get it up and running - http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=160431
    Last edited by OldTimeEtc; 04-17-2017 at 09:49 PM.

Yes, that's what I was talking about. Thanks for the information.

Yeah!!!.......just found another box left outside by Santa (mailman) thanks to a very kind and generous member here.

...and heck no I'm not waiting till Xmas, too excited...so upon opening it and here's what was inside.....

.....This right angle mill attachment with nine R8 collets. I'm pretty sure I can adapt this to the mill to replace the head that came with my mill. I do have a back-up plan in case this doesn't work out but I'm sure this will work....I'm so downright giddy right now!.......Many many Thanks to David Angelo!!
    Last edited by OldTimeEtc; 04-21-2017 at 10:39 AM.