Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OT: semi update re my work

I was flatlined in 1980. I somehow did an auto-resuscitation with nobody else around while I was in hospital being treated for incipient septicemia. The antibiotic put my heart into Torsades de Points and then it all stopped.

I have no idea how long I was fully out but if nothing else I was just a few seconds away from death. In medical records of over 1000 people in 16 countries there are no cases of somebody doing a full auto-resuscitation without medical assistance in a case like mine without suffering severe brain pathology.

Time to get back to work. I put in about eight hours a day.
    Last edited by Evan; 03-20-2017 at 05:16 PM.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post

I have no idea how long I was fully out but if nothing else I was just a few seconds away from death. In medical records of over 1000 people in 16 countries there are no cases of somebody doing a full auto-resuscitation without medical assistance in a case like mine without suffering severe brain pathology.
    Sounds like a no brainer to me ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

John if it is good enough for Homer then what are we to do. Incidentally for a few years when the Simpsons came out I watched it we all did all very funny then what happened nobody I know watches it now at all? Is that the same where you live ? Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Some may have watched it. Many years ago when I did watch some TV I stumbled on an episode, watched for about two minutes and have never seen it again. I do not have a TV. Anything that is in some way related to TV makes no sense to me at all.

@Alistair

"As you know my new-ish understanding our conscious-ness. of the brain and it's ability as was previously thought to manufacture conscious ability."

There is a recent, interesting development in neuroscience bearing on consciousness:

http://www.nature.com/news/a-giant-n...-brain-1.21539

Way cool! Thanks for that link. That could possibly explain what is now so very visible because of my work. It is how the clock speed of the brain seems so high. Sure, you can patiently analyze the little squiggly lines one after another but that just does't give the concept of what must be happening in the brain. When you can actually see it all happening in pretty coloured waves of action it changes everything, at least for me and I expect for everyone that works in the field. Together with the analog nature of the brain and now this it changes everything we thought we knew.

I have been thinking that I can make a case that any super specialized lab should have at least one generalist on board. Being so specialized makes it far more likely to miss what is happening in the general field of anything. Now I am getting another idea for a paper....

Often wondered if the wiggly lines were fractal, wigglys made of smaller wigglys, perhaps time base is relavent, bigger perhaps
    Mark

They currently sample at 500 samples per second. So, based on the Nyquist limit of half the sample rate to avoid aliasing that is only 250 and for any decent sampled waveform better than a square wave it needs to be under 1/4 or much lower. The usual known highest frequencies in the brain are around 50 cycles per second so the sample rate is ten times that to give a decent waveform. But what if it is much higher? As far as I know there hasn't been much investigation into that since the assumption has always been that something like the brain just can't go faster than that.

I very much expect that higher frequencies are possible and do actually exist. That is also something my work seems to make visible. Seeing fractals will require much faster sample rates. I have done a lot of work with fractals.

This image is nothing but mathematically calculated fractals.

Last edited by Evan; 03-20-2017 at 11:52 PM.

It is a beautiful image. It's fractal nature, however, is not apparent.
    Allan Ostling

Here you can see something that is clearly a fractal video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyOb_IwT4vI

Incidentally, since I am now using a full 3D model of the brain I have figured out a really neat way to improve the presentation. When I have that done and working well I will see if I can make a video small enough to show at least a short clip of how it now works. Oh, the lecture on the 22nd has been cancelled. The prof has overloaded himself again. But that gives me more time to make it even better. Need to call it pretty well finished soon though. I will have other things to do in the near future. I will still be using it to make videos for the prof when he needs them and I also have more to do with the charting function but that is in no real hurry.

I also need to be careful that I do not overload myself. I will be teaching at least one course next spring and perhaps one this fall. Both will produce income. I am supposedly retired.
    Last edited by Evan; 03-21-2017 at 03:11 AM.