Thread: P Type Parting Blades & Aloris Tool Holders........??

Default P Type Parting Blades & Aloris Tool Holders........??

A while back I bought a few different parting blades from KBC Tools. Didn't know they were crap chinese and india when I ordered them.

Anyway,.........I was setting one up the other day and noticed that the top which is more a T than a P and I don't know why they call them P type but the T top was more pronounced on one side than the other rather than being centered like in the picture below.
    One side was almost flat or flush to the side of the blade and neither side is tapered like in the picture.

The blade I was setting up is 11/16" x 3/32". I also noticed that the top measured .095 and the bottom measured .090.
    Not much of a taper considering you have to split that difference to allow clearance on both sides of the blade when parting deep or when the bottom of the blade starts to enter the groove. For shallow cuts it's not an issue.
    Most guys seem to think, or it seems to be common practice with out much thought that when you set one of these blades in an Aloris tool holder that you just firmly hold the blade against the slot in the tool holder and tighten the wedge and your golden.

Not so........... in fact usually the wedge moves the blade out from the side of the tool holder slightly. This may be due in part that some of these cheap blades are not ground square meaning the top and bottoms are not square to each other or are ground with a slight taper. I really can't tell if my tool holder slot is cut with a slight taper or if it's cut square to the bottom where the blade sits.
    What I have to do is adjust the blade so there is an equal gap at the bottom to allow for clearance on each side and then give it the final snug.
    Anyone else ever notice this?????

JL................

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    Anyone else ever notice this?????

I havent. And I have many diff cut off blades. I just seat it and clamp it. Good to go. JR
    The Bridgeport Mill group I started...

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

I have the Aloris holder, and I always thought that P/T type cutoff blades would not work in that holder without modification. You can probably "make it work" but it is not right.

Joe
    I posted a warning about 2 years ago about the Chinese "variation "

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...=cutoff+blades

They are really crap.

Rich

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...ders?p=1043646

Read this one again, Joe.

metalmagpie

got mine from Shars, they work really well

Good Stuff Magpie !

Rich

Did you buy the Altai blades pictured? I bought some of them, and they worked fine. I didn't use them for long though, switched to inserts. I don't have a good holder for that type of blade, that's why I stopped using them. I intended to make one, but the inserts work so well that I might never get around to it.
    Last edited by pinstripe; 03-20-2017 at 02:14 PM.

It is possible the variations being observed are due to the cut off blade being a left hand or right hand variant. That is, designed to leave the "pip" at left or right.

Norman

Quote Originally Posted by pinstripe View Post
    Did you buy the Altai blades pictured? I bought some of them, and they worked fine. I didn't use them for long though, switched to inserts. I don't have a good holder for that type of blade, that's why I stopped using them. I intended to make one, but the inserts work so well that I might never get around to it.
    No, I did not buy the one pictured. I guess this topic has come up a few times in the past.

JL................