Thread: Prep before painting

Default Prep before painting

Shortly (hopefully) I will need to primer the trail of my 1/6 scale British 4.5" howitzer model. Up to this point it has had oil, flux (soldering), acid pickling agent, acid for soldering and a few other insults to paint on it. Some of this will be in between parts that have been riveted together so there isn't any way to clean this out and it may cause future rust and interfere with the paint .

Is there any way to clean this out or at least neutralize it. Something that the parts can soak in. I have soaked it in water and baking soda to stop the bulk of the pickling acid from hurting it, for the interim but I don't think that will be enough.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

If you are really worried really hot water and dish washing detergent. Boil it if you like. Maybe slip it in the dishwasher the when "no one" is looking.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 03-19-2017 at 09:52 PM.

Lakeside I like the dishwasher scam. Except if "you know who" found out I would be sleeping with one eye open for the next ten years.

At an open house where I taught a mother was boasting about how her son had "grown up". She was proud of the fact that when she got home from work her son had done the dishes. The next day he was telling me what a good job a dishwasher did on dirty motorcycle parts. I did not "rat him out".

I keep meaning to put one in the garage... same with a big convection oven, but a few sneaks now and then have delayed that project Before a buddy of mine bought a real heat parts washer, he used an old dishwasher to process thousands of chainsaws and parts. They work really well.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 03-20-2017 at 01:14 AM.

My ex got really pissed when she found out the reason I got up at 5 on a Sunday morning was to use her oven and deep freeze to help assemble a 36 Rolls rear axle! That one had no sense of humour, replaced with a much better model!

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    If you are really worried really hot water and dish washing detergent. Boil it if you like. Maybe slip it in the dishwasher the when "no one" is looking.
    Is that really going to get oil out of tight places. I'm not worried about putting it in the washer, i usually end up doing the dishes anyway.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

yes... it works very well.. Detergent is/contains a surfactant.

When I care about getting paint to stick to something I've made I tape off the surfaces I don't want paint on and bead blast the rest, painting immediately afterwards. The blasting cleans and puts a little 'tooth' to the surface that the paint can grab.

Would doing this hurt aluminum parts? I've got an engine I'm rebuilding (750cc Kawasaki motor from a zero-turn mower) that has a bunch of crud on it. I can get the big stuff off, but I'd like to get it clean for putting it together, without damaging the machined surfaces.

I used to put my wire wheel covers from my 74 Vega in the dishwasher, worked very well. Still put the electronic air cleaner parts in regularly. My wife doesn't see anything wrong with it. After all, it's my dishwasher too. Bob.