Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I've been cooned!!! o.t.

Re Coons being smart: Back years ago, my wife and where building a house back in the bush. She had stored a couple of boxes of jars of pickles she had preserved. One morning going into this shed here i notoce the box open, and one jar of pickles opened, and some missing pickles and some half eaten. The tracks there where from a coon. Somehow the bugger had unscrewed the lid off that pickle jar. Guess it knew that it was right hand thread. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    ...Somehow the bugger had unscrewed the lid off that pickle jar. Guess it knew that it was right hand thread. Lol
    Probably a right handed coon.

Brian I got your answer but actually just got her today and am not giving her up --- got me another Mountain Cur the finest racoon tree'ers known to mankind,
    I will post pics sometime, wow what a pooch though - already made herself at home in just a half day, and already passing gas on my bed, she does not know she's not allowed up there and I don't yet have the heart to tell her lol... ahh the price you have to pay for having a racoon free house...

Brian,the biggest lesson here is,when your wife says she hears something in the attic-LISTEN TO HER

Women,generally will notice more things than we do as my brother found out not long after he married.His wife kept telling him she heard something running around in the attic.He kept blowing it off until one day he decided to take a look.

Squirrels had popped open a gable vent on the house and started nesting in the attic.After about five hours of sweeping and shoveling,Acorns,Pecans,leaves and twigs out of the attic the mess was cleared and the vent screwed shut.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    We had a problem with a big weasel. ... a big ugly weasel two feet long without the tail.
    Sounds like you had a marten. Pretty common in your part of the world. They like to chew rubber and cable insulation on cars, and can cause a lot of damage. My in-laws, also living in the Black Forest, have had a few incidents.

... when your wife says she hears something in the attic-LISTEN TO HER
    Amen to that. My wife elbowed me in bed a few nights ago, saying she'd heard a "thump" overhead. I put it down to geese or ducks landing on the roof (we get that). A few days later, I spotted an expensive track-light fixture hanging down from the rafters, with only two connectors and the force of habit still holding it up. My wife must have heard it come loose.

Here in Belgium, Racoons are an invasive species. They are considered vermin to be eradicated, along with Canada geese and a few other undesirables. I have glimpsed racoon in the woods while hunting deer, and my brother was the first person to actually shoot some in the locality where we both go. He is having his taxidermist mount one and make a Davy Crockett hat of the other! The locals have been having some success trapping raccoons - apparently chocolate bars work well as bait, and they also like maize.

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    Where to catch the coons is not a fixed situation. When I first contacted the Varmint control guy, he had the traps set in my attic, which seemed pretty logical to me, except that he caught nothing. As soon as he moved the traps outside, he caught 4 coons one right after the other.
    Vermin. Raccoons, Skunks, possums, etc follow the edges of things. Place the trap alongside the foundation and they'll walk right in it. My dog ambushes skunks by waiting just around the corner of our house. She hates skunks.

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri in the USA)

Quote Originally Posted by Euph0ny View Post
    ....! The locals have been having some success trapping raccoons - apparently chocolate bars work well as bait, and they also like maize.
    They LOVE Kentucky Fried Chicken..... Had one getting in the garage that could eat all the marshmallows etc without tripping the trap, but a piece of KFC tied to fishing line running up and over to the trigger got him. pest control guy had that bright idea. (It's illegal to trap them here unless you have a license)

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by DR View Post
    In the inner city we tried bird feeders outside our kitchen windows for the view while we ate.

As somebody else mentioned. birds are sloppy eaters. The residue on the ground attracted rats to our yard. It's bad enough some of the idiot neighbors leave cat food out on their porches and feed the squirrels. Plus, we have a number of major remodels going locally so that disturbs the nesting rats sending them looking for new homes.
    I feed the squirrels & coons, lead, fast acting lead. Was at the cabin one night & heard the stangest sound ran out with a snub nose 38 & it was porcupine was eating a hole in the wall of the cabin. He took off me in chase till he treed about 40' up so I'm in my undies, with a small flashlight & got him the last shot & he just barely missed me, must of weighed 40+ pounds.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

I thought this was a prison thread initially.

My ex brother in law was taking a bicycle trip with his 7 year old son when they camp upon a pair of baby coons whose mother had been hit by a car and was dead. Son thought they were cute so BIL put them in his shirt and took them home. One of them died but the other one became a family pet. It ate out of the cat dish so they tried putting the cat dish up on a shelf when the cat wasn't eating. No joy, coons can climb almost anything.

They had a wooden screen door coming in to the house from the garage. The coon would walk up to the door and open it to let itself in. Couple of things that I remember was my BIL telling me to hold it. They hug you like they want to become part of you. Also, I had a long beard and the coon would comb it with it's fingers. It really was a pretty cool pet.

One day it must have decided to become a wild animal again because it left and never returned. Either that or it suffered the same fate as it's mother.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC