Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: GrassRat, a.k.a. muskrat

Default OT: GrassRat, a.k.a. muskrat

I didn't want to hijack Brian's also OT thread about the 'coon problem. SO, it would seem that I have a muskrat problem here. They show up in the night, and $chitt everywhere. MaMa's worried about her little boy gobbeling same, and getting, well, sicker that a dog. Arthur is an attack poodle, at about 7 pounds, and getting pretty elderly.

Those closest to me would say, any muskrat sized target would be in the danger zone anywhere inside 400 yards, or maybe even farther. However, there is no safe backdrop here, not to mention the neighbor's likely reports of loud noises commonly associated with high power rifle fire. Other artillery here, while being relatively quiet, might not have the spectacular results of a full blown varmint rifle. In other words the quarry might very well crawl off to die, and decompose with rather odiferous result. Also, not good.

So, given the talented and knowledgeable group here, I'd like to ask for advice, based on experience.

Thanks, TC, also known as the ratshooter

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri in the USA)

Muskrat normally ar not far from water. You have a pond or lake right nearby?

If not, then your problem is likely a different critter. Possum maybe. They crap all over. Coons will pick a place and crap there repeatedly.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

If you'er a good shot there are some 22 cal. air rifles that are lethal up to about (IIRC) 70 yards, and they are virtually silent so the neighbors aren't bothered.

Silencers re legal & about to be available over the counter without the $200 tax stamp soon when the HPA hearing protection passes. In many gun unfriendly countries silencers are over the counter hearing protection as it should be. Michigan is legal to own & hunt with silencers & some are under $100 & it's legal to build your own but don't start building till the tax stamp is back or HPA passes. The key is subsonic (below 1100fps) so no sonic crack. A 22 rifle all you hear is the hammer click the firing pin & of course what you hit.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

My muskrats have never given an ounce of problem.. and I've been here 28 years living 10 feet from water. They are so short sighted they are fun to mess with, but I let them go their merry way.

Luckily here you cannot fire a gun of any type with 500 feet of a residence (any direction, even your own) so they aren't getting harmed.

Generally the only issues occur when the buggers decide to create bank dens, and then their runs collapse under the weight of mower or foot traffic.

Answer the question on the water, lake, pond, stream, ditch, etc ... and I can give you some trapping suggestions. I do not know the trapping regulations in Oregon, so will leave that part up to you.

I had a mean old tomcat for that issue but he passed on. However I live at a gravel pit with nearby wetland and LARGE kitty prints. If the bobcats don't get them the occasional cougar will. Of course they have to compete with the the wolves, foxes and coy-wolves!
    Last edited by Leadfootin; 03-20-2017 at 12:21 AM.

I've had one in my pond for about a year. The burrowing is by far the biggest problem. I have found no sign of fecal matter laying about. They eat an amazing amount of cat tail and skunk cabbage so my pond cleaning duties are scaled back to almost zero. I'm finding that the benefits outweighs the problems, my pond has never been clearer since construction. Raccoons leave fecal piles all over the yard, and are attracted to bird seed. I have yet to see muskrat scat. Muskrats are active early AM and late PM, coons are nocturnal. Do you have a game cam?

I live in the city and air riffle rabbits out the back door all the time. One of those break barrel single pump with power like a .22 and a scope can pick off a bunny half a mile away (maybe not that far but it is accurate for a damn long distance).
    Andy

I use a .22 LR CB cap to pick off woodchucks in my back yard. They make less noise than an air rifle and will stop a chuck dead in it's tracks at 50 yards if your a good shot, and even if your a bad shot and hit it'll waddle away and croak.

JL...........