Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: GrassRat, a.k.a. muskrat

Well, got a look at one of the culprits this morning, early. They're nutria, I'm pretty sure. My neighbor was mistaken, I think. However in answer to the question of nearby water, yeah, I'm close to the Willamette river. We do have coons and 'possums but they've never been a problem. Most likely because they prefer dining at the neighbors dog dishes.

Reminds me of some friends that heard rustling in their kitchen one night and went down to find a mother opossum and several young ones feasting on the cat food. They found their way through the cat door as if they owned the place...

Ive never understood why so many people want to kill things that arent causing any harm. I totally understand if its hunting for food, population control, or damage control. I dont however understand killing just to watch something die.

but thats just me.

On another topic I thought the bill or whatever it was called dealing with silencers was killed. Any truth to that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Ive never understood why so many people want to kill things that arent causing any harm. I totally understand if its hunting for food, population control, or damage control. I dont however understand killing just to watch something die.

but thats just me.

On another topic I thought the bill or whatever it was called dealing with silencers was killed. Any truth to that ?
    Sure and I bet you don't sway flies or mosquitoes either. CRAP!! Varmints belong in the wild, NOT in the cities or in peoples houses. Once they find the free handouts they are PESTS and the way to get rid of them is death.
    ...lew...

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
    Sure and I bet you don't sway flies or mosquitoes either. CRAP!! Varmints belong in the wild, NOT in the cities or in peoples houses. Once they find the free handouts they are PESTS and the way to get rid of them is death.
    ...lew...
    Ohhh I totally agree they do not belong in anyones house. As I stated if its damage control such as a coon crapping in your attic I get it. I dont totally agree the best way is death as live traps are cheap. Trap and relocate way out in the country then figure out how they are getting in. Critters just like humans will seek shelter. Doesnt matter if you kill everyone that gets in your house there will always be one to figure out the entrance and you are back to square one.

My comment was more geared for the people who just go out in the back yard and pop off whatever critter for poops and giggles. But thats just me i guess.

As said air rifle or if noise isn't going to be a problem, a shotgun
    Definition: Boat, a hole in the water you throw money into!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Clarke View Post
    Well, got a look at one of the culprits this morning, early. They're nutria,
    I was heading out to check my beaver sets this afternoon and was thinking about this thread and wondering if maybe they were nutria.

I'm no help trapping them, we don't have them here. I know they do plug up beaver traps of friends down south and out west.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister ED View Post
    I was heading out to check my beaver sets this afternoon and was thinking about this thread and wondering if maybe they were nutria.

I'm no help trapping them, we don't have them here. I know they do plug up beaver traps of friends down south and out west.
    Arent nutria only in the south. I know we dont have them in KY either. Or at least that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Arent nutria only in the south. I know we dont have them in KY either. Or at least that I know of.
    Pacific NW has them as well:

If you have nutria.. call the county - they will be all over them.