Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O.T computer deal gone wrong

Default O.T computer deal gone wrong

My wife is a big fan of yard sale, estate sales and etc. So about a week ago she came home with a Lenovia laptop computer, from a church fundraiser. She paid $25 for it, just what I need in my shop. I plug it in and it starts good, the problem is we need the password to open it. She called the woman she bought if from and the story is it belonged to her parents who are deceased. My question is there some way to get into it or do I need to fork out a hundred bucks to the local computer wizard to be able to use it? It has window 7 pro installed in it.

Thanks and take care, Old Time

The easiest way to deal with that is to reinstall Windows. There should be a separate partition on the drive for reinstallation from scratch. You will need the manual or something from the Lenovo web site for instructions how to do that. Of course, if you do this it will eliminate any extra software that was installed by the previous users. It will also need a lot of updates and that can take a long time. You will need a high speed connection to do that in a reasonable amount of time. By reinstalling you also eliminate any possibility of malware that might be on it.

Also, from a moral point of view what the previous users had on there is none of your business.
    Last edited by Evan; 03-21-2017 at 12:06 AM.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Yep.. . but should you need to open it and you can boot from USB or CD, there many programs that will zero out the passwords.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    ...... By reinstalling you also eliminate any possibility of malware that might be on it.
    It is my understanding that some forms actually can survive a normal re-installation. They tend to be the worst ones, too.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

If lightening strikes... then you deal with it. Lots of tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Time View Post
    My question is there some way to get into it or do I need to fork out a hundred bucks to the local computer wizard to be able to use it? It has window 7 pro installed in it.
    Hiren's boot CD is a little old school now, but it was all the thing back in the Win 7 days. You can download it from

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

You will have to burn it as iso (there are instructions on the site if you don't know how)

The instructions on how to use the programs on the Boot CD to change the passwords are here

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/resetting-windows-password/

It is my understanding that some forms actually can survive a normal re-installation. They tend to be the worst ones, too.
    Yes, those are boot sector viruses. I haven't heard of any of those being around for a very long time. To get rid of those one must do a full format with total zero write to all sectors. That cannot be done directly, you need to boot from a CD. A basic Linux CD is available to do that. But that will wipe out the partition with the Windows install.

Ahh, Hirens boot cd, it tells you the password... Personally, I would just remove the HD and put in a new SSD instead

The issue with that is installing Windows. It is unlikely that it came with an install disk. If one can do an image backup to an external storage device then it could work. But that requires access and it would be much better with a fresh install.

Consider yourself lucky if it's just a windows password and not a BIOS password.