Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: OT: You know you live in a small town when......................................

Not too bad if there's 1-60 people but cann get intimate if there's more
    Mind if you want to sleep on your own I find Brussels sprouts empty the bed.
    Mark

somewhere in downstate chicago-tax-us-to-death

When you know everybody's pets by name.
    Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Quote Originally Posted by AD5MB View Post
    I can get to the house by the freeway, the county road or the irrigation ditch. Freeway speed limit in theory is 75, in practice 85. county road, 50. ditch bank, keep it between the ditches. the ditch bank is faster than the county road because everybody drives 35 on the county road. half the people on the county road have a dog in the back of the pickup, which causes every dog not in a pickup to chase the pickups with the dog.
    We used to take the logging roads and fire trails because they were a lot faster than the actual roads.

This happened this past Friday evening. Our daughter ordered three pizza's for us at a local pizza place we usually order from on Fridays. The man stamped her card she has for buy 10 get one free. Then he said goodbye and she walked out. Neither one of them realized that she hadn't paid for the pizzas. Our daughter told Mom that she forgot to pay for the pizzas when they were almost home. Mom called the pizza place to tell them Paula forgot to pay. The man said he also forgot to take the money and they had a big laugh. He told Mom to just wait till next time and pay then. That is a small town!
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

I was surprised a couple weeks ago, when I went to buy some tires for a couple of lawn mowers from a shop called CasterLand (they charge significantly less than lawnmower parts shops AND actually have the tires in stock). I had been there for maybe twice before, and this time the debit/credit machine wasn't working. They tried for maybe 5 minutes to get it working, couldn't, then the guy says "well, it's not working. just pay the next time you come it." He didn't have my name, phone number, address and this is in a city of just shy of a million people...

If you need caster's or tires/wheels for small equipement or ATV's, I highly recommend Casterland (not just for this, but also because of how they fixed a problem I had [bought a tire from them and had it mounted, get home and find it had a rim leak after a couple days, take it back, another guy who hasn't seen me before, tell him the story, fixes it no problem, didn't need to dig out the receipt to prove I bought it there], and they are willing to say "I don't know X, but I'll get the guy who does").

It would be helpful to list your location, and the location of a store you are recommending, along with a link for more information. It appears that Casterland is in Canada:

https://www.casterland.com/pages/locations

doh, yes, I don't know why I thought my post header would already list my location... :-( I'll fix that now.

Coincidently, my home town was 90 miles northeast of Edmonton, called Edwand. No longer on the map. Population then was 11, one general store, mail in the back, drums of gasoline on the front steps. 2nd grade, I hunted gophers for my allowance. Two cents a tail bounty. Fast forward to late 50's, early 60's, highschool in west Denver Colorado, get out of school, grab our .22's, walk over to Morrison rd., and thumb a ride west to the foothills,hunt, then hitchhike back. Buddy got a Vespa, we went up to Blackhawk, bought a box of dynamite caps and a roll of fuse. Clerk asked us if we needed any dynamite, told him no, dad had plenty. We made up Dupont spinners( 6" of fuse on a cap) and always had brookies to eat on our camping trips. Imagine the size of the Swat Response team today. And the headlines. I feel sorry for my grandchildren.

Never got a chance to play with dynamite but we certainty would have if given the chance. As a kid, I was able to obtain a container of Bulls-eye smokeless pistol powder that lasted us an entire summer. I still remember the brand "Bulls-eye" even though it was ~35 years ago. I also had a bunch of green cannon fuse. We used to fill empty CO2 air gun cartridges with pistol powder and glue in some cannon fuse, and also made larger ones with threaded pipe + end-caps from the hardware store. Of course it was all innocent fun and never for any malicious reasons.
    Work hard play hard

I live in a small town, maybe a 1000 in the "center" I don't really know. 6000 in the whole municipality, we got a new grocery store a few years ago, there's a gas station (two if you count the self service one), an electronics store, butchers store, lunch restaurant, two burger / fast food joints, one pizza/kebab joint, one thai place. About 5km east there's another "center" where they got a swimming pool, two smaller stores and the post office. There are also two hardware / farming stores for various needs, and one scrap yard that you're allow to root through the piles in, it is nice to have nearby. We also have fiber in my house since the municipalites around here joined up and started building a fiberoptic backbone back in the 20th century. There are also other smaller villages in this municipality further out, that have their own grocery stores and gas stations.

It's great, if I had to live in a city (again) I'd eat a bullet within 24 hours, can't stand the crowds and the shallow materialism of the place.

Oh... I suppose the time I picked up my kids from daycare and the other guy picked up his kids in the tractor. Half the population here are farmers.
    Last edited by DennisCA; 01-07-2019 at 11:28 AM.