Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: OT: You know you live in a small town when......................................

I grew up in a village of about 60 to 80 people. We had a church, a school, a general store, and two sawmills. It was the kind of place that before you asked a girl out, you had to check first with your Ma to see if she was a cousin or not.
    Brian Rupnow

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    I grew up in a village of about 60 to 80 people. We had a church, a school, a general store, and two sawmills. It was the kind of place that before you asked a girl out, you had to check first with your Ma to see if she was a cousin or not.
    The flip side of the girl thing is in West Virginia you have to ask your Ma to make sure she is related before you ask her out!
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

I can't speak for West Virginia, but on the way up to Bancroft near where I grew up there is a lovely little village about half way there named Kinmount. One of my sons made the observation that when the town was named they probably didn't know how to spell "incest".
    Brian Rupnow

I've had a good chuckle reading this.
    I now live about 40km (25mi) from the nearest town proper. Horses and tractors are common. Used to be you'd see guys at the bank cashing fur cheques with a rifle on their shoulder (because their ute (pickup)'s doors didn't lock and it's illegal to leave a firearm unattended. Nevermind that the keys were left in the ignition, or, if you were really paranoid, tucked up in the sun visor)
    I'm about 10km (6mi) from the "village" - a costal settlement, actually quite big but probably also serves as catchment for a 30km radius. One general store that sells fuel, postage and grocery. And a takeaway shop that opens 5 evenings a week in summer, 3 in winter depending on the weather. Town hall and a public dunny.
    Wouldn't have it ny other way, in fact, I'm starting to think it's too busy here, I can hear my neighbours when they're shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by AD5MB View Post
    ...when the UPS guy delivers a package to you at the supermarket because he recognizes your car.
    He left a set of tires in the back of my truck (in the unlocked camper shell) when my truck was parked at work.

A different UPS driver, a nice young lady, dropped a package of gun parts off at my Dad's instead of my house. She said "the box looked expensive", and my neighborhood is a bit rough nowadays. My Dad lives in an adjacent county...

Both times the alternate delivery was appreciated.

The delivery people (and the mailman) know a lot more about people and their connections than you might expect.

Re-the surname bit on how common:
    I just ran my name and got the following

I know there are more than that as I have a genealogy family tree with several hundred live ones and hundreds more dating back to 1790 . But all (every one) are descended from the one in 1790 . I'm convinced the name got modified by the migration officials in Philadelphia when he came here.
    ...lew...

Modification of surnames was not uncommon a century or so ago as clergy registering births or marriage would make a phonetic approximation when it might never have been written down before. You might be able to get a grant for being an endangered species. Perhaps start a breeding programme......
    This morning we were discussing what the new owner of an ex bank on the highstreet would do with it. Lovely stone building but no shop window, a big vault door and concrete cash machine plinth to remove. New owner did mention to a friend he might use the downstairs for tech classes and put a 'bridgey' on the plinth base. I hope to meet him soon. That leaves two other empty banks still available, two others still operating on minimal staff. The town already has enough places converted to bars and fast food and one pub that catered more for the older generation closed last year. There is more activity in the evenings now than what was market day.