Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Rockerblock I.C.--Something a little different-

That new part is going to add much "techie" to the overall visual ... nice.

PS: the nuts to hold the manifold fittings are missing from the graphic.

Norman--I make the model. Then I make the drawings. Then I make the actual part or assembly . Then I go back and add the extra bits to the model and thus the drawings.--You've caught me in between things.--Brian
    Brian Rupnow

I am constantly amazed by the amount of time required to make some of this stuff. I'm not slow at machining. Its just that there are so many steps and set-ups to make a simple part like this. I've just put in a complete 8 hour day making this lifter guide/bolster. It has turned out fine. I decided to make the rocker arm tower out of a separate piece, which will be bolted on. I will make it tomorrow.---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    Norman--I make the model. Then I make the drawings. Then I make the actual part or assembly . Then I go back and add the extra bits to the model and thus the drawings.--You've caught me in between things.--Brian
    Hi, understood, it very ok by me. Please accept my apologies. For me; I am impressed by (na I am just following) the solid and steady evolution in your skillset crafting the metal. Was it some great historian (Leonardo or some such) who said I work in a manner where the "vision I see" is within and the man is simply bursting out of the stone I carve.

Keep at it.

This picture shows the finished bolster/lifter guide/rocker arm pivot finished and in place on the engine. The two open holes directly below the rocker pivot tower are where the valve lifters set. The camshaft and (as yet unfinished) cams set directly behind those two holes. (See picture without bolster in place.) The open slots on both sides allow me to get a hex wrench in there to lock the cams to the camshaft in the correct rotational aspect. The two open holes in the "cylinder head" are where the valves will be.

Last edited by brian Rupnow; 05-19-2017 at 01:47 PM.
    Brian Rupnow

This has been a somewhat hither-thither morning. I made and installed two brass valve cages, dealt with a roofing contractor, and helped good wife sort out a ton of stuff in my garage as she prepares for a Parkinsons Charity yard-sale. The diameter of the valve cages are such that they can't be pressed into place with fingers alone, but slide in very smoothly when coated with #638 Loctite and pressed in with my 1 ton arbor press. I have sorted thru my box of springs and found the spring that will keep my valves in the closed position. The slight recess in the top of the valve cages contains the bottom 0.050" of spring so that it can't slide over and rub on the valves when they are installed. The picture showing the inside of the cylinder head shows up a lot of dirt that I didn't even know was there. The Macro setting on my camera sometimes does that. If I'm not interrupted in the next couple of hours, I may even have some valves made today.

Brian Rupnow

One valve down, and one to go. Both intake and exhaust are the same. The stem on these valves are almost ridiculously long, at 1.537", but once they are set into place in the cylinder head they look about right. The actual guided part of the valve in the valve cage is quite long. I turn these valves down to about 0.128" in 3 stages to keep from having a lot of deflection to deal with. The hardest part of the entire valve is to keep from turning the stem undersize. The last 0.003" or so, I work down to size (0.125") using 220 grit carborundum paper.
    Brian Rupnow

And that's the second valve finished. I'd have been done sooner, but I had to run across town to my sons house and look after a sump-pump emergency. Tomorrow I'll machine a set of "keepers" and drill that tiny 0.040" cross hole in the valve stems that allows a cross pin to hold the keepers and springs in place.
    Brian Rupnow

The time has almost arrived to make my rocker arms. I wasn't totally happy with the original design, as there was no good way to lock the adjusting bolt which sets the valve lash in place. So--this morning a couple of hours were spent redesigning the rockers. I'm happy with what I've came up with. I have to attend a birthday party for youngest grandson at noon, so I may not get any actual machining done today.----Maybe---
    Brian Rupnow

Looking good, Brian. I am enjoying the build even though I will never likely build one.
    Glenn Bird