Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rockerblock I.C.--Something a little different-

Default Rockerblock I.C.--Something a little different-

And I do mean different. I want to machine something---but--Something I haven't seen or done before. This is destined to become a water-jacketed engine, 1" bore x 1.125" stroke. I have been casting around for something new to build, and I thought this up last night while fighting off my insomnia. A couple of hours spent on the CAD system this evening just to see if it could be done, and yes, it can. There will probably be many redesigns and changes along the way, but basically this is the overall framework I will stick to.
    Last edited by brian Rupnow; 04-22-2017 at 06:58 AM.
    Brian Rupnow

Possibly a very long stroke crank and a set of opposed pistons? Just thinking out loud.
    Neat design

And yes, I'm even toying with the idea of water-jet cut flywheels.
    Last edited by brian Rupnow; 04-22-2017 at 07:00 AM.
    Brian Rupnow

Quote Originally Posted by OhioDesperado View Post
    Possibly a very long stroke crank and a set of opposed pistons? Just thinking out loud.
    Neat design
    You're about 4 years too late for that. I built that engine and posted it here years ago.---Brian
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...OPPOSED+PISTON
    Last edited by brian Rupnow; 04-07-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    Brian Rupnow

Brian, your idea of taking a break like you announced in the OHC engine thread clearly does not jive with what most of us consider "a break"....

I like the look of this. For hobby engines the more oscillating, wobbly or rotating pieces the better. And this design puts it all out on display. About the only way it could show off more action would be if you were to lay the works over on its side and have the flywheel underneath.... hmmmmmm.... it would sort of look like a mechanical spider with the splayed out legs to support the engine and still clear the flywheel. What'dya think? Not that you should change this one. Just generally.

I like it!

Looking at it though, I see the crazy possibility of putting the ?rocker arm? On some sort of a cammed arrangement, and getting variable compression. Not necessarily cause it needs it, just cause it'd be cool.

I assume, with the crank so nice and close to the head that it'll be an OHC design?

It's cool - no reason in the world it should not work and I agree with BC when it comes to hobby engines the more extravagant links to get the job done the better...

This engine does have a unique advantage over a standard piston engine Brian,,, you no longer have to put the piston skirts through the radical loading that's accompanied by the crank angles,,,

You also have the option of drastically altering the compression stroke piston speed in comparison to the power stroke piston speed, could be something fun to play with...

Quote Originally Posted by achtanelion View Post
    I like it!

Looking at it though, I see the crazy possibility of putting the ?rocker arm? On some sort of a cammed arrangement, and getting variable compression. Not necessarily cause it needs it, just cause it'd be cool.
    That is a great observation, centrifugal mechanical weights that eccentrically up the ante on the comprendo ratio as RPM's increase - of course load sensitive linked to the throttle control and output shaft --- oops now were getting fancy lol

how about a wankel?

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    how about a wankel?
    How about http://imgur.com/gallery/bxzeN