Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Toy

Default New Toy

Not as cool as a CNC mill, router, lathe, etc, but still pretty darn cool. I am glad I got this one, the auto z calibration is worth its weight in gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice!

So I'm guessing that this is a 3D printer and the spool is the plastic "ink"?

The only interest I've got in anything CNC related is purely academic. It's cool as blazes but in my shop I prefer to twiddle my own dials. So I've got to ask..... do they have a wax or plastic that can be used for making patterns for lost wax style metal casting?

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post

The only interest I've got in anything CNC related is purely academic. It's cool as blazes but in my shop I prefer to twiddle my own dials. So I've got to ask..... do they have a wax or plastic that can be used for making patterns for lost wax style metal casting?
    Theres Youtube videos of people using PLA for that. There may be filaments made for it. Heck, theres even Ninja Flex for printing out squishy things. People are using it for making tires for r/c airplanes. I wonder how it would work for casting?

Great toy, RB, congratulations!

It's called "MoldLay" filament. I've also seen a video of a guy doing what he calls "lost PLA shell" casting. Print with a thin shell, near to no fill, with an included sprue and vents. Then, just pack sand around it and pour the metal in. Like lost foam casting. I've not tried it, and there was a certain amount of profanity in the video, but it seems do-able.

But, things are getting interesting... I've picked up a 12 spool variety pack from a Canadian distributor, PLA, flexPLA, woodPLA, brassPLA, CarbonFiberPLA, etc.. along with some nylon and what's called TPE-80A, which is very flexible yet oddly tough. I'm thinking I could print a small drive belt out of it.

They have food grade, stuff that prints hard but turns to soft foam when you soak it in water, so many options now... I've spent more on filament than I did on my printer And, I've only scratched the surface.

David...

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post

Looks like a tiny Gothic toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Looks like a tiny Gothic toilet.
    LOL, it does, doesn't it?
    Here it is finished. I still need to do some fine tuning, but pretty darn good for a first print.

do they have a wax or plastic that can be used for making patterns for lost wax style metal casting?
    There is a wax available which burns out clean but I'm not sure that all printers support the required temperature range as standard, an advantage of the wax is it's easy to improve/polish the surface finish with warm sculpting tools.