Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Toy

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    LOL, it does, doesn't it?
    Here it is finished. I still need to do some fine tuning, but pretty darn good for a first print.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dang, my daughter would go nuts over that! A 3D printer is definitely something on my (and both my daughters) wishlist. Once you've had some time with it I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in appreciating some feedback on it

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    dang, my daughter would go nuts over that! A 3D printer is definitely something on my (and both my daughters) wishlist. Once you've had some time with it I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in appreciating some feedback on it
    I went with this one, besides being reviewed universally as the best one for the money, it uses a proximity sensor in the print head, and copper? disks embedded in the heated bed. The printer will scan the bed and map out the x,y, and z of the bed. It can detect any skews in x/y and correct for it automatically, and before each print, self calibratea z height across the bed over 7 points. I don't know of any other printer that does that, and its why it works so damn well.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    I went with this one, besides being reviewed universally as the best one for the money
    Not to bad a price for everything that goes into it.

http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printe...3-mk2-kit.html

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Not to bad a price for everything that goes into it.

http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printe...3-mk2-kit.html
    I ordered it two months ago, and because of a two month lead time, I just received it. When I ordered it, it was the Mk2. In March, the Mk2s came out, and thats what he sent. A nice little surprise.
    It's worth noting, that dragon took 8 hours to print. Was printing at 90% speed. Very fine layer height. Well, time to play with Fusing360 again, and print some odds and ends for my r/c airplanes.

I agree, not a bad price at all and the auto-calibration looks pretty sweet. $700 isn't chump change but it isn't unachievable either. Perhaps if my girls go without Christmas presents for a few years...

I agree, not a bad price at all and the auto-calibration looks pretty sweet. $700 isn't chump change but it isn't unachievable either. Perhaps if my girls go without Christmas presents for a few years...
    You need to teach those girls that life is hard. Do it for them. True love. Shorten the time frame and make them wear hand-me-downs. Clothes from the second hand store. Cut down to two meals a day. No phones. If you love them you will do it.

Then buy the 3D printer and print little trinkets for them. They will thank you for your love.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

There are cheaper ones... and you can print the Christmas presents if you have one

I picked up a Monoprice Select Mini... they're still going for around $200 USD, often with shipping included. That's approaching chump-change territory. Being stranded in the great white north, it cost me $350 CND. Don't forget to buy some filament... Oh, I futzed for about 2 min on the bed levelling and was getting decent prints off of it right away. Very easy to use and the published specs are actually conservative compared to what it can actually do. What you lose by going cheap is the build size, It's only a 120mm cube, and a second filament cooling fan, thus reducing overhang capability. That's all I've noticed so far anyway. Prints look as good as the $4000 Ultimaker 3s they just bought at work. Speed is pretty much dependent on the print media and results wanted, not the printer.

I have to admit that I have generally shied away from CNC type stuff. I'm an electronics technologist by training and a computer guy by trade... my shop has always been the escape from that. But, there's now just too many things you can do with it... I'm having a blast with my printer, and yeah, I'll be making a CNC mill soon.

David...

I just bought one of the cheaper ones last night. Its the same basic machine and design as the OP shows but with a 1/4 aluminum frame. I did a bunch of research and the main difference is that auto leveling, and auto geometry correction the one the OP shows has. Geometry correction is to correct for machines built out of square and the common feeling is that its of limited value and its better to just build the printer square in the first place. Auto bed leveling is now mainstream, there is a sensor accessory for the model I bought dirt cheap to add that capability. I will add it later on.

Here is the one I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-GEEETEC...AAAOSw4A5Ys-7j except I bought it direct from Geeetech in LA for $275

Here is the autolevel accessory : http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEEETECH-3D-...sAAOSwgmJX18BZ

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    You need to teach those girls that life is hard. Do it for them. True love. Shorten the time frame and make them wear hand-me-downs. Clothes from the second hand store. Cut down to two meals a day. No phones. If you love them you will do it.
    Ha, we do that any way chimney sweeping and shoe shining is next! The prusa copy below is within the realm of achievable, have to look at it again after we move to Texas this summer and the finances have settled down.