Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Most realistic Model Railroad craftsmanship I have ever seen

I have been to a number of large layouts with my rabid railfan son.. they across the board have custom made track cleaning cars that they run around periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie_obe View Post
    Nickel silver rail instead of brass. Keeping a railroad free of dust is still constant chore.
    That was my thought. Given that most home layouts are in a basement or similiar "excess" space dust has to be a constant problem. This layout given its owner and his business is more a highly detailed diorama than an operators layout. Its showcasing his products. No problem with that. That is one of the nice things about the hobby. It has many facets. Everything from operations to scenery. With electronics, scratchbuilding, minature machining and others in between. But from what I understand its also a dying one as new blood is not coming in fast enough to keep up.
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Very impressive!
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Follow this link top pictures of the singer Rod Stewarts layout. He is a big model train guy. He and a couple of friends have been working on his layout for over 20 years and sets a new level of awesome for a private layout. The buildings in the background are not paintings on the wall but complete buildings. You will have to scroll through the pictures.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?vi...verlay&first=1
    Last edited by loose nut; 04-23-2017 at 04:28 PM.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Something I did not know, and frankly would never have suspected.

It's crazy realistic.... if anything looks even better than the others I have seen here.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

There was a magazine article on him and his trains. When he would go on tour he always rented two hotel rooms side by side. The OTHER room became his work shop, to work on his trains etc.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

I love everything about railroads, and models, and *OTHER* peoples layouts. They are large, take up a lot of room, and have very limited replay value. The hobby is dying because of the space requirements. Young people are in no position in this day and age to settle down. They have to be mobile to where the next job is.

I seem to recall many older magazines noting the "20-year old gap". It seems kids love trains, then they discover the other gender, get married and have kids and rediscover trains through their kids. That's about the time they're buying 4 room houses because a small house is what they can afford and mobile because they have to go where the work is.

I'd say the hobby is not dying but instead is actually growing. We're embracing new technology with DCC and our local club now has 5 full-time members (that's not family members) under 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Puckdropper View Post

I'd say the hobby is not dying but instead is actually growing. We're embracing new technology with DCC and our local club now has 5 full-time members (that's not family members) under 18.
    I'd say that MR clubs are the antidote to the trends noted by RB211.

One club of note is the MIT Tech Model Railroad Club which included members who later made contributions to computer science:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tech_Model_Railroad_Club

Most hobbies that require equipment or room are like that. Model Engineering, as an example, is considered an "old man's" hobby for the same reasons. Young people may become interested in it but life usually gets in the way until we are older.