Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: OT - Most realistic Model Railroad craftsmanship I have ever seen

Obvious when you know it is there......

That reasoning is OK by me.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 01-10-2019 at 10:48 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I have lots of HO stuff:

I am thinking about setting up a small layout in a corner of the bedroom (only room that is reasonably heated), a space about 42" square with the woostove chimney in the middle. The standard radius for HO track is 18", or about 38" required. I have some flexible track that can be bent to as small as 12" radius, but most engines and rolling stock won't handle that. Here is a piece of standard 18" curved track with an F7 style engine, and a piece of flexible track bent to about 15" radius, with a dockside steam switcher and tender, which look like they can handle that:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Amick View Post
    Do any of your train layouts have humps in them. A hump is a pimple of a hill (a hump) that a shifter engine
    pushes a draft of cars up and over and as each car is going over the top, it goes from being pushed to trying to run
    away down the hill. As that happens a trainman pulls the cut lever allowing the car to take off down the hill. In a
    tower you have a humpmaster (some guy) controlling all the switches steering the car onto whatever track he wants.

This is the way you take a bunch of cars designated for different destinations and put them in the right place.
    No humps in the one-and-only layout that I did, but after playing with the layout after it was done, I was thinking about expanding it upwards with additional layouts all elevated above the bottom layout. I was thinking of having one or more switches on the bottom layout divert to a gradual "on-ramp" that brings the train onto the elevated layout(s). I wasn't sure how difficult it would be to elevate one or more additional layouts over the base without obscuring the view of the base too much. Maybe I'll play with some smaller layouts on a 4x8' area and see what kind of multi-level tracks could be made. That would be cool to have 3 or 4 multi-level layouts on a single 4x8' base. Maybe designed in such a way that most of the levels stagger from each-other so from one view-point you can see most of the levels without obscuring too much of the lower track from view.
    Work hard play hard

Default Still shots would be better

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    Yeah, but the video is just as bad as it was back then. Just as youth is wasted on the young, 4K is wasted on the inept.

What bothers me is how everyone thinks "old times" needs to look old. It's old NOW but it wasn't old then. It happens in the movies too; Especially western movies in the depiction of the towns.
    I would much rather see some still photographs of that layout than a jiggling, constantly moving video with distracting conversations in the background. There are times that video shines; this is not one of them--unless done right.
    So many projects. So little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Orrin View Post
    I would much rather see some still photographs of that layout than a jiggling, constantly moving video with distracting conversations in the background. There are times that video shines; this is not one of them--unless done right.
    Complaints, complaints complaints ....OK, Check this out then ....
    http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_f...hester_re.html

also .... https://www.pinterest.com/hebrubaker...th-manchester/
    Last edited by DATo; 01-13-2019 at 04:22 PM.

I couldn't find the hanged (hung?) man in the pictures. But I did see Batman and Robin!

That is really an impressive layout, and one can imagine a story for every scene. I would like to see a video taken by a camera on board one of the trains. And it would be cool if some of the people and machinery would actually move.

And how about the McCain and Obama Fish Oil and Fertilizer building?
    Last edited by PStechPaul; 01-13-2019 at 06:48 PM. Reason: added image

Quote Originally Posted by DATo View Post
    Complaints, complaints complaints ....OK, Check this out then ....
    http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_f...hester_re.html

also .... https://www.pinterest.com/hebrubaker...th-manchester/
    That's better, much better. The part I like best is that those still photos did not hold me hostage for a half-hour.
    So many projects. So little time.