Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT - Most realistic Model Railroad craftsmanship I have ever seen

Default OT - Most realistic Model Railroad craftsmanship I have ever seen

I am not into model railroading at all, but as a craftsman myself I do appreciate excellence when I see it regardless of the medium in which it is presented.

This model railroad created by George Selios depicts the Depression period of American history ~ 1930s.

I would highly recommend watching this in full-screen mode and stopping the video from time to time to concentrate on the details. Look at the SMALL things. The video is about a half hour long and I found virtually every moment of it to be simply mesmerizing. Look for things like grass growing in cracks of concrete, litter in the curbs of streets, the odd windowpane missing on abandoned buildings; pigeons roosting on overhangs, missing fence slats etc.; even the roundhouse has chipped concrete along the edge just as one would imagine it would be. The trains move at a speed which is believable too - they're not flying around at an unrealistic speed like most layouts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvbg_tL9JXM

Did you notice the hanged man? Remember, this is the Depression.

Impressive body of work. Video was on auto-focus which combined with the shaky hand detracted some from the experience.

Worth the look though.

Not a model railroader either but yes the detailing is incredible. Must have taken all day to put that together, about the only thing missing are a few hobos hanging around the rail yards and I'm sure I probably missed it as there is soo much to look at.

Thanks for the link.
    Home,down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Some rolling stock looks newer than 30's, but..... Yowza.

And then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR5P...k#t=115.123375

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

a lifetime of work there, which makes me wonder how long it will survive after he's gone.

Boy I love it. I built a HO layout back in my HS and college days. It was a LOT smaller than that, slightly larger than a sheet of plywood. But I love it. Haven't had the time or space for one since then.

That is not one man's work. Probably a group or club.

As for the speed of the trains, that is entirely in the hands of the operators (model engineers). Even 50 years ago they had very effective speed controls on the model trains. But there is always someone who wants to see how fast they can go. Duhhh! Back in those days I would sometimes watch the real ones going over the Mississippi on the Huey P. Long Bridge outside of New Orleans. It was a very slow process. Very slow, both up and down.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

That model railroad is open one Saturday morning a month from about April through October. When you walk in the room your jaw will hit the floor - even my wife was impressed, and that says more than you can imagine!

George runs Fine Scale Miniatures, a manufacturer of "craftsman" style HO structure kits. The layout is located in his factory. He works on that layout something like 7-8 hours/day for five days a week.

See what 2000+ hours a year for a couple of decades can accomplish .....

Very impressive, and, yes, mesmerising.

In a similar vein, there is an app called 3D Train Studio. This is a MODEL railway simulator, basically a sheet of plywood complete with big buttons you can press just like a model layout would have. They have a lite version for free and with it you can download the setups other people have done. Some of those setups are simply... no words. The level of detail, the imagination, the hours and hours of work the people must have put into them. Unlike a real layout, you don't need a factory floor to do it. It can be as big as the designer wants. It has moving trains, airplanes, boats, helicopters, cars, buses, trucks, bicycles, jogging people, moving three-pane billboards. It just goes on and on. Many of the vehicles have cockpits you can switch the view into and watch the scenery go by. Installed it for my kid but I lost myself for hours in it.

One of them... I was chuckling over. It had a teenage overabundance of the very same, very busty, lady in various coloured bikinis strewn about the model all over the place. Then, up on a hill overlooking it all, tucked away, was this little cabin. On the porch of the cabin were 2 guys holding hands. Some kid poured his heart and soul into that little slice of virtual reality. I guess it was his escape.

My kid... he just loves collecting all the firetrucks or putting the buses in the water. Yeah, you can edit the layouts yourself as well as interact with them as they run.

Not quite the same as a physical model, but at least you don't get stoned on the glue. A lot cheaper too,

David...
    Last edited by fixerdave; 04-21-2017 at 12:14 AM.

That was by far the most realistic model railroad I've ever seen. Where do you even buy all that stuff??? I've been in some model and hobby shops before but never have I seen anything with such detail. The cars being weathered and the buildings. A bit congested though.
    Love the illuminated Cracker Jack sign !!

JL..............

Congested goes with the territory.... model railroad layouts are usually small, and there is a lot of stuff to cram in. I swear there is more trackage in that part of "town" than buildings or streets. The second one, that I linked to, is 2000 square feet, so he has maybe more space to mess with. That fellow builds and sells buildings etc, he seems to have made a business out of it, for all the "checkbook modelers".

I have very little interest in model railroading. At one time I thought I did, but actually I did not, and never went anywhere with it, kind of a solitary thing, even I am a bit more social than that. I enjoy seeing what folks have done, though.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan