Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Posts with just a link. Do we need more? I think so.

Angry Posts with just a link. Do we need more? I think so.

There have been a lot of threads recently where the first post has a link with almost no description. It would be a lot better (in my humble opinion) to have at least a paragraph explaining what the link contains and what parts made it worth pointing out. If I want random links I could do just as well by going to google and clicking "I feel lucky".

The videos are especially bad because so many of the YouTube videos are devoid of any explanation regarding the contents or value of the video. I don't care to watch a 20 minute video without some inkling of where its value lies.

Examples of threads where there's not much reason to click:

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgl_NbQXshQ shows a method of squaring up a block on all sides within .0002". This is the first part in a multi part video on making a squareness checker.
    and

Ouch!

https://youtu.be/0Ako5guyzNg?t=5m54s

I feel sick and it's not even mine
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

Worse than that is a thread title that's exactly opposite of what the post is.

Ok, I can understand the first and the last one, but what's wrong with the second one? It tells you what the video is about. That post also had more information (knee mill) in the thread title. Steve has posted his other videos here before, so most people would know what to expect.

Only you can control your left mouse button

Clicking on a link that you really don't where your going in one the best ways to get you and your computer into a world of hurt. I never click on links.

Quote Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
    Clicking on a link that you really don't where your going in one the best ways to get you and your computer into a world of hurt. I never click on links.
    :-) Well I've quit clicking on "U Tube" links for sure after the last couple that went for muintes without any indication of ever stopping the BLATHER and
    getting to the supposed subject. :-(
    ...lew...

Lesser of two evils I think. I'd rather see a post with a single link than one that takes up half the screen with a dozen or more links of 'examples'.

It does seem that the forum is being used lately as a springboard to garner hits on other personal web sites and/or YouTube sites, rather than post the information HERE. They only come here - to get you to go there.....

I also do not like large paragraphs trying to explain something that a simple picture would of gotten the job done; people using too many words; people complaining about their toy lathe; people who get mad when the advice given is not what they wanted to hear; Europeans commenting on US politics/elections; and multi-culturism.

Telling you what's in a video and then giving you the link makes sense; the video is designed to convey the information easier than writing it all out. Writing it all out would defeat the point.

But I agree, saying "check out this link" and posting a link should earn you a delete.

Useless thread titles are bigger annoyance for me.
    If the link is related or gives good answer to subject at hand I don't have problem.

Then if some dimwit is posting links without comments and the links don't follow the conversation at hand I'll get annoyed very fast.