Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tool Post Grinder Wheels

Default Tool Post Grinder Wheels

I have a small tool post grinder that I'm borrowing from a friend. It came with his small South Bend lathe.
    I need to find a decent wheel for it. The quill has a 3/8" spindle and the old wheel that's on there now is about 2 3/4" in dia.
    I can't find any wheels that size. Any one have any ideas where I can get one ???

JL..............

equally mysterious is where to get the small wheels for the internal grinding spindle to the TPG. I haven't done it yet, but I remember than Dan Gilbert guy talking about having smaller dia grinding wheels water jet cut out of regular sized wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    equally mysterious is where to get the small wheels for the internal grinding spindle to the TPG. I haven't done it yet, but I remember than Dan Gilbert guy talking about having smaller dia grinding wheels water jet cut out of regular sized wheels.
    Take a mounted point and make your own arbor for it.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andre3127 View Post
    Take a mounted point and make your own arbor for it.
    and then what?

you know what the end of an internal grinding spindle looks like.......the wheel needs a bore to suit. You could I suppose take a 1/4" mounted point point and make an adapter.....wheels that fit would be a lot easier

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    I have a small tool post grinder that I'm borrowing from a friend. It came with his small South Bend lathe.
    I need to find a decent wheel for it. The quill has a 3/8" spindle and the old wheel that's on there now is about 2 3/4" in dia.
    I can't find any wheels that size. Any one have any ideas where I can get one ???

JL..............
    Is this close to what you are looking for?

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/05899703

Try doing a search for "Dumore grinding wheels", as that's a popular manufacturer, so they are often referred to as Dumore wheels.

Here is a picture of what this thing looks like. There is no name tag or any other ID tag any where on it. I'm guessing Dumore ????
    The bearings are either too tight or bad. It hasn't been used in probably 50 years. It turns kind of segmented feeling like. I sprayed some Zep 2000 on each end and it loosened them up a little but they still doesn't feel quite right. I don't dare take the quill apart. I'm not even sure how it comes apart. Looking at the ends of the quill housing it looks like there is a disc with a serrated edge pressed in to cover the bearings.
    I ran it and the bearings started to squeal so I stopped.

Here is what I wanted to do with it.

I got a new Sopko hub for my surface grinder. I want to flat top the threads a little. The threads measure 1.2495,same as the shoulder where the wheel mounts. The reason is, and this has to do with my balancing hubs that I made. I bored the ID of my balancing hubs to 1.232 which was what my old OEM hub measured across the threads. After I did that I found that my balancing hub was loose fitting where it sits on the threads up against a 1/2" thick wheel. Well come to find out the threads on the OEM grinder hub are pretty well worn where the hub sits so it has about .005 play in it. I want to keep the balancing hub as concentric as possible and .005 slop don't cut it. So I bought the new hub. I want to top the threads off to about 1.240 and then carefully bore the hole out in my balancing hubs to just fit over it with no wiggle room. The threads on the new hub are pretty sharp and shave the ID of any wheel I try to slip over it. It will also be a lot easier to slip a close fitting balancing hub over a flat top thread as opposed to threads with a sharp edge.

Here's a reminder of what my balancing hub for the surface grinder looks like.

JL...................
    Last edited by JoeLee; 05-18-2017 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tom_d View Post
    Is this close to what you are looking for?

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/05899703

Try doing a search for "Dumore grinding wheels", as that's a popular manufacturer, so they are often referred to as Dumore wheels.

Yes, that's it. How come I couldn't find it?????

Now if I can get this thing to run smooth I may be in luck. I have to come up with a secure way to mount it on the grinders chuck so it's solid.
    I also have to raise it up high enough so the wheel clears the chuck surface. I have a 4" dia round I was going to drill and thread to bolt the tool post grinder to.
    I want to grind the threads in place off the off the surface grinder so I can keep it perfectly concentric. The grinder spindle has less than .0001 runout and so does the hub. I can feed the grinder head down in tenths till I get the exact dia. on the threads that I want.

JL.................

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    and then what?

you know what the end of an internal grinding spindle looks like.......the wheel needs a bore to suit. You could I suppose take a 1/4" mounted point point and make an adapter.....wheels that fit would be a lot easier
    I was referring to your comment about an internal grinding wheel. Some of them have threaded arbors (direct thread, like a spindle nose. Not a nut and washer clamping arbor) and you could make a tapered nose holder for the mouted points.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre3127 View Post
    I was referring to your comment about an internal grinding wheel. Some of them have threaded arbors (direct thread, like a spindle nose. Not a nut and washer clamping arbor) and you could make a tapered nose holder for the mouted points.

I see what you mean. the ones I have (internal) are a long skinny spindles with a threaded end to a shoulder. Wheel slips on the spindle up to a shoulder then a nut goes on. Anyway, the point was according the Dan G you can make any wheel dia/hole dia combo you want by getting a larger wheel water jet cut. haven't tried it, but thought its worth tucking away as I don't how else you'd get a non catalogue size/wheel type made