Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tool Post Grinder Wheels

I think the wheel that MSC has is the best deal going. Any wheel with the Dumore name attached to it is way over priced.

If I can figure out how to take the quill apart to clean / inspect the bearings I'll be all set.

JL..............

If you want a 1/2" hole with a 3"wheel. McMaster has 2 Norton wheels. one is 1/2 " thick the other is 1" thick. Price $10.81 and $13.21.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#abrasive-g...heels/=17or4p4

Use the left side. metal , toolroom grinders , wheel type , wheel diameter
    Last edited by Bob Ford; 05-18-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri in the USA)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    I see what you mean. the ones I have (internal) are a long skinny spindles with a threaded end to a shoulder. Wheel slips on the spindle up to a shoulder then a nut goes on. Anyway, the point was according the Dan G you can make any wheel dia/hole dia combo you want by getting a larger wheel water jet cut. haven't tried it, but thought its worth tucking away as I don't how else you'd get a non catalogue size/wheel type made
    That would be the internal spindle to the right in the picture. The one in the unit is the external one.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

and then what?

you know what the end of an internal grinding spindle looks like.......the wheel needs a bore to suit. You could I suppose take a 1/4" mounted point point and make an adapter.....wheels that fit would be a lot easier
    120 grit is too fine and with out coolant would probably generate too much heat. They have the same size wheel in 60 grit. I'm not really worried about the type or hardness for what little I have to do.

JL...............

I see what you mean. the ones I have (internal) are a long skinny spindles with a threaded end to a shoulder. Wheel slips on the spindle up to a shoulder then a nut goes on. Anyway, the point was according the Dan G you can make any wheel dia/hole dia combo you want by getting a larger wheel water jet cut. haven't tried it, but thought its worth tucking away as I don't how else you'd get a non catalogue size/wheel type made
    I do remember him talking about that in his video showing his air bearing lathe and grinder. It's a cool machine, that's for sure!

Maybe a wheel could be cut out with a diamond tipped holesaw and a lot of pressure? Basically letting the diamonds rip apart the wheel structure, not abrading the grains. Like dressing a wheel.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    I think the wheel that MSC has is the best deal going. Any wheel with the Dumore name attached to it is way over priced.

If I can figure out how to take the quill apart to clean / inspect the bearings I'll be all set.

JL..............
    Don't take the bearings apart unless you have a new set to put in. They are specially preloaded and currently worn in. If you disrupt their position you could ruin them. If it grinds good, leave it be.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

It's missing a couple of safety guards, especially the one at the grinding end. Even with the guards, I don't stand in-line with the thing. Scares me every time I bring my Dumore 44 out.

I had to make a spindle adaptor for some small ID wheels I picked up off Ebay. I don't recall what I paid but got a box full of 1" stones really cheap. I've probably used 2-3 out of the whole box and have spares. I think I have some 1/2" too, somewhere. If you can use either of those, let me know and I'll try to find them in my stash cabinets. I'll contribute to your cause--N/C.

I made a good solid mount this morning. Found a piece a 3 1/2" dia. steel under my bench, the hole was already bored in it. I just faced the ends. The tool post grinder mounts perfectly on in, the wheel clears the chuck and it's locked down solid. It's not going to move.

I had to come up with a way to mount the diamond nib so I can dress the new wheel. This was all I could come up with. I don't like the idea of it but it should work for light dressing and it should true the wheel up to the table travel.

JL..............

Any progress on freeing up the T.P.G. spindle bearings? It looks like you've got the mounting issue secured, both literally and figuratively. As for dressing the small wheel, could you cobble up something that utilizes one of the threaded holes I see from the surface grinder wheel cover? I was thinking a block of aluminum with a hole to accept the dressing diamond, so that it can be positioned over the top of the small wheel, pointing down, allowing you to use the fine down feed for dressing.

Yes, I did free up the spindle bearings. They are pretty smooth now. I kept squirting them with ZEP 2000. It must have been the grease dried up.
    If you turn the spindle slowly by hand you can still feel a very slight roughness.
    I did come up with a way to mount the diamond nib. The above picture shows it on the right, clamped to the indicator bar on the shroud.

JL...............