Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A case of you get what you pay for

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Not in derailer type gears. Been like that for last 50 years
    Both my cannondales had master links....

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    That was my first thought nice save though!

You can't replace a chain by simply taking apart derailleur. It has to be 'broken' and fished through frame 99% of the time.

Break chain once and use one of these from then on.

I've had one on my 29er bike for the past six years.

Quote Originally Posted by j.bain87 View Post
    Oh heaven forbid if you just used a metric bolt.
    30 years of saving bolts, nuts and screws, and it seems that I can never find the one I need.

Quote wierdscience: "Good save,some percentage of being a machinist requires the ability to make chicken salad out of chicken s--t. "

An added bonus, it added another dollar to the wife's write off cost of the lathe.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Quote Originally Posted by flylo View Post
    I saw a guy make $20 years ago on a motorcycle chain that kept coming off, he sid for $20 he'd cure it so he pushed it in the shop shut the door & put the clip on so the closed end was in front when moving. For some reason the owner had kept putting it on backward.
    Hahaha. Reminds me of an older model Ford Mustang I fixed like that once. Guy comes in complaining that his car is running REAL bad, won't idle, and stinks of fuel. We walked out into the parking lot and lifted the hood. Told him to start it up after I removed the air cleaner. Looking down into the primary's I could see the fuel dumping into the intake like a waterfall. Told him "I'll be right back" and went to retrieve a plastic hammer from my toolbox. Went back to the car and gave the carb a couple of raps on the float bowl. The engine slowly cleared out and established a steady idle - purring like a kitten again. Put the air filter back on, closed the hood, and started walking away as I told him "No charge..."

He just stood there for several minutes with his jaw on the ground and the deer in the headlights stare. Made my day.