Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volvo Shmolvo I saying,,, (machining content)

Default Volvo Shmolvo I saying,,, (machining content)

An old 245 2.3 liter volvo, just can't kill em, and a bombproof "shim and bucket" valve train design,

supposed to be inspected every 30,000 miles which is playing it safe and a little overkill for sure as this is about the most stable system going,
    but meticulous records show it's never had an inspection/adjustment and it's got over 170,000 miles on it,

really did not know what I was going to find when I popped it's cork, but for the most part 6 out of 8 were within specs (.016" to .018" hot)
    yet 2 exhausts were pretty far out - one at .010" and the other at .003" !!! that's to the point that when cold it was probably hanging open some as the aluminum head shrank and the valve remained closer to the same, not good and a good catch...

valve seats are probably countersinking some with the two exhausts... still should be ok as long as they seal,

so what to do? order a 1,000 dollar volvo "shim kit" ? no, measure the shims and drive out of town to try and find the correct ones "somewhere" hell no, shims are tight not loose and I got a Mill and some carbide,

actually was not sure as these shims/pucks are some tough stuff, but worth a shot;

It was a grunt - mainly because my half inch endmills are not in the best shape,

had to do them and rotate 90 degree's and re-do to catch the ends but after then figure 8ing it on my 400 grit flat board came out very nice,

Did the machine work on the backside of the shim so left the mating surface that's already matched to the cam alone,

Sweet little old lady should be happy, esp. when she finds out she's getting the job done for free :-)

Where there's a Mill - there's a way...

Good job, she should be happy.

Wow. Nice save A.K.

Wish I would have known since I have a couple extra shims around here and may have been able to send you a couple. These are for Yota's, but the larger ones look about right. Just curious - what's the diameter on those?

Last edited by Highpower; 05-19-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks for the belated offer HP but really only took about a half hour to do both shims,

I don't know the size it's already back together but they were I think the biggest iv seen - wear a large glove and they take up a good part of my hand in the pic lol

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    Thanks for the belated offer HP but really only took about a half hour to do both shims,
    Still impressive considering how hard those puppies are!

I'm still trying to figure out how I can re-purpose these things for something else. I figure as soon as I throw them away I'll think of something. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
    Still impressive considering how hard those puppies are!
    it's true --- and to be honest I seen a couple sparks, not good lol

I'm still trying to figure out how I can re-purpose these things for something else. I figure as soon as I throw them away I'll think of something. lol.
    Grind bevel one side and enter a stone skipping contest,,, you will most probably win

Fiat twin cam shims of the same era will fit.

A little tangential, but I was looking at making some shims just to have a reasonable adjustment set. These are the little cups that sit on the valve stem like Alfas. I took one around to my heat treater and asked if they would do a hardness test for me, and they said the one they tested barely reached 50Rc. I was surprised at first, but then recollected that there was some race car bad experience with similar shims cracking, so I presume they went for not-that-hard to back out of being brittle. I'd be curious how hard those bucket top shims are in comparison.

And on a further tangent, I had a chance to be in a shop where they were doing a restoration on a Fiat OSCA. Cute little **** and 4 cyl engine. What surprised me was the valve gear. I was expecting the traditional bucket follower, but the head had these funny little sort of rectangular pieces that pivoted at the back end, a bit like a little like a tiny rocker. The cam follower was slightly convex, as I recall with the valve stem contact a little further out. Essentially a second class lever that gave just a little amplification of the cam lift. I puzzled about why they would do such an odd setup, and finally realized it was probably for rpm. This would give them the lowest possible valve train mass so they could rev higher without valve float. I presume they've probably got the restoration done now and would love to see it.
    "I am often asked how radio works. Well, you see, wire telegraphy is like a very long cat. You yank his tail in New York and he meows in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? Now, radio is exactly the same, except that there is no cat." : Albert Einstein

Highpower, can you anneal them? (jest thinking)

Sets of shims should sell well, on ebay.