Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: people posting pictures using Photobucket as the host

Default OT: people posting pictures using Photobucket as the host

They seem to have just recently changed/started enforcing new rules about images on 3rd party sites (like this one). Now they want you to pay for a fairly expensive plan ($400-$500 annually) to do it...and without it, your pictures don't show up anymore.

"I am altering the deal, pray I donít alter it any further"

For any photobucket users: try imgur.com as an alternative

That might work, but all of our earlier threads will no longer show the all-important pictures. The $400/year price puts PB out of the question for me, and I don't see much of a way to justify spending days uploading pictures and editing old threads with the new links.

Oh, well, it was reasonably nice while it lasted.

Maybe there's a way to create an album in PB with the relevant pictures, and then put a link to the album in a thread. Like this for Degree Wheel: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/winc...?sort=3&page=1

Will that work?
    Last edited by winchman; 06-30-2017 at 04:18 AM.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Maybe I am just naturally distrustful but I have the feeling that they hope to raise a bit of cash as a going away present to themselves before they close up shop.

you can probably still include links to pictures in PB, but rather than displaying inline here, uses would have to click on the link [like in your post] to view the picture.

If possible, the forum owner/manager could possibly do a batch change to the links, so they are still minimally useful (well, that's the sort of thing I would do, as it would be faster/more reliable/accurate to do vs. manually editing old posts to fix the links).

I believe hotlinking images inline is also against the Imgur ToS.

This is exactly why the forum needs to be its own image host. There have been several content 'mass extinctions' over the years; distinct time periods where Photobucket/imageshack/whomever the dominant third party image host at the time, has changed their linking schema or changed their terms of service to disallow hotlinking of images, causing the destruction of a vast magnitude of content.

Most people posting content do not maintain the links on content they have posted, either. So even simple changes, such as changing the way in which a host handles direct linking, can break a forum post to the point of being unusable.

We all rely so heavily on images as a visual aid to the work and learning resources we post on places like this. In many cases, without the associated images, a post becomes completely worthless. It saddens me deeply to think of the wealth of knowledge and information that has been and will be lost to changes like this. Imagine what the 'Shop Made Tools' thread would be like if suddenly all the images ceased to work? Think of all the hugely useful posts, in that thread alone, that have been lost as the images they once contained have been lost.

Personally, I've taken to taking full page screenshots using a chrome plugin, for any site I bookmark. It's the only way to ensure that important resources I may need to refer to later remain available, when the images they contain are long gone. This has saved my bacon twice this week, alone.

Ultimately the only way to ensure any content you post online is available in perpetuity is to host it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun God View Post
    I believe hotlinking images inline is also against the Imgur ToS.

This is exactly why the forum needs to be its own image host. There have been several content 'mass extinctions' over the years; distinct time periods where Photobucket/imageshack/whomever the dominant third party image host at the time, has changed their linking schema or changed their terms of service to disallow hotlinking of images, causing the destruction of a vast magnitude of content.
    Took a look and Imgur TOS is indeed bit shady. This maybe clarifies the current practice:
    https://community.imgur.com/t/what-d...lsewhere/21348

"briannaImgur Staff"
    " Imgur allows hotlinking on forums, but hotlinked images cannot be used as content for a website, including blog posts, avatars, site elements, and advertising. Let me know if I can help further!"

And the reason why I don't use forum hosted photos is because couple of years ago one of the bigger forums that I visit hosed all the pics they hosted along with many of the older threads to save disk space!
    (plus many of my photos might get posted also to other forums than home shop machinist)

Doesn't anyone self-host anymore? You used to get "space" with the old accounts in which you could actually rez up a budget webpage if you wanted, or just use for online hosting.

'Course, I rezzed up my own domain name some 20 years ago- back when you didn't have to misspell the word or have a forty-eight-character long name.

One of my first posts on this board, from mid-2004. Photos are still there, still hosted on my own site.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Doesn't seem to apply to all accounts (yet). Maybe it's only if you are over a certain threshold? Just realized that if you click their little placeholder image, it will take you to the original image on their site. So the images aren't totally lost. I normally strip out the links though, so if they block my account, it will be harder for people to find the images.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
    Maybe I am just naturally distrustful but I have the feeling that they hope to raise a bit of cash as a going away present to themselves before they close up shop.
    Smells of desperation. You can get a lot of web hosting/cloud space for $400 a year.
    Last edited by pinstripe; 06-30-2017 at 05:53 AM.

Once this site can host it's own pics, i promise y'all i will deluge y'all with photos. Finally.