Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: OT: people posting pictures using Photobucket as the host

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Amick View Post
    I'm speechless.
    Me too. Some nerve!

Ho Hum.

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri in the USA)

Well, there's one that got sucked-in.

Not this boy. If none of you ever get to see another one of my pictures, it won't hurt me a bit. And it won;t hurt you either, really.

As for worry about losing pics? Anyone with a tenth of a brain has them on their OWN machine, and did not commit the only copy to photo*ucket. For one thing, PB automatically reduced the resolution, so if that was your only copy, it is now severely degraded.

I have not yet deleted the PB stuff, it doesn't hurt me to leave it there for the moment. I won't ever put another pic up there as it is now, but I'm going to wait and see if PB decides to change their mind (if they have one).

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by oldtiffie View Post
    Well so far my PB image that I posted earlier is still there on my screen - so all is well in that regard anyway - it is repeated here:

http://s200.photobucket.com/user/old...tml?sort=3&o=0

In the mean time I am happy to wait and see how it all pans out.
    And my PB image is still there on my screen.

No changes at all that I can see.

Well, mine's gone.
    Hell, business is business and they've made nothing off me.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by QSIMDO View Post
    Well, mine's gone.
    Hell, business is business and they've made nothing off me.
    And no free lunches either.

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri in the USA)

Quote Originally Posted by oldtiffie View Post
    And no free lunches either.
    Perhaps so. tiffster, perhaps so.

But, recall that PB gave away free the same thing that they now are "shocked, SHOCKED I tell you!" that people would dare to do. Gee, when they set it up themselves, and left it that way for over a decade? They just now figured out they had a problem? Really?

Not so good at that business stuff, they are.... or so it seems.

No, tiffster, the only two real issues with the whole thing are two things: 1) they basically sprang the change on folks overnight 2) They are not satisfied with a reasonable charge, they decided to pull a Martin Shkreli, and raise the price to perhaps 1000% (or more) of what many would pay offhand and not think was out of scale.

It happens that I have software for which he annual maintenance is $400. I pay it, and I am quite happy to pay that. But there is a considerable difference between the maintenance on productive software, vs the ability to use your photos in on-line forums. One is considerably more useful and valuable.

I hasten to point out that what they did is "perfectly legal". I will not go so far as to suggest it was a smart idea on their part. Time will tell, but it looks like there is a good chance for a mega-fail on PBs part.

But, I WILL say that that IMO anyone who does pay PB the asked amount, is acting like a flaming idiot, considering the far less costly options that exist. And the chance that PB will go T/U as a result, taking your money and your pictures with them into the toilet.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 07-18-2017 at 12:28 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I don't intend to pay Photobucket anything to continue providing the kind of service they did before. They got all the ad revenue from my eyeballs every time I used them so that seems like a fair enough tradeoff compared to other organizations that serve up advertising when you use whatever other services they promote.

I'm not certain I'd continue using them even if they went back to the old arrangement. Getting the kind of bait and switch is where I've quit doing business with some other organizations. Termination with prejudice.
    "I am often asked how radio works. Well, you see, wire telegraphy is like a very long cat. You yank his tail in New York and he meows in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? Now, radio is exactly the same, except that there is no cat." : Albert Einstein

I might even upload a bunch more images just to take up space on their servers

My pictures (or at least this one) are working again.

Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.